General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Boom, boom

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 12 Dec 2017 14:46

The seven dwarves and Exxon tell us that we must retain oil and gas energy "for security of supply" and then this happens:

http://www.dailytelegraph.co.uk
(edited)

So far as I know the wind has been blowing since the oceans first formed, The sun goes on shining over half the planet at any given moment. Although individual wind turbines have failed none have done any widespread damage. Same for solar farms.

Govt policy is for more gas, more nuclear, more fracking in the North Riding of Yorkshire ...

boom, boom
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHa3ldik4WM

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 12 Dec 2017 15:05

Rollo, did you mean to advertise pills for the menopause? :-S

Of course, I hope you don't need them but one can never be sure nowadays. :-D

Is it just the silly season then? :-D :-D :-D

Nuclear power fills me with horror; what kind of legacy are we leaving future generations when spent 'dregs' are stored underground for a few hundred years? Wind and solar power makes much more sense and they are outstandingly clean when compared with nuclear power. Also, what's wrong with tidal power - high set-up costs and low running costs with clean power.

My second name being Thomas, I wonder whose family and friends are set to benefit from some government decisions. There's always a quid pro quo!

supercrutch

supercrutch Report 12 Dec 2017 15:15

:-D :-D :-D :-D :-D at Doubting :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D

I wonder if those pills are any good? ;-) ;-)

Rambling

Rambling Report 12 Dec 2017 15:41

Too late for me ( for the pills lol)

Too late for the planet?
https://tinyurl.com/ybpflvu2

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 12 Dec 2017 16:01

I am very much against nuclear (what can go wrong will go wrong) and would like to see carbon based energy phased out as soon as possible.

I have never seen a blue whale but I like to know they are there. Doing someting about global warming is a start. Although they are no longer legally hunted they are in danger of starving due to Asian krill fishing.

I have been lucky enough to see grey whales during the annual migration off the California coast. The eye contact with these wonderful creatures is unforgettable.
So is getting wet and cold and more than a bit scared.

As per my original post my OH needs a regular supply of vitex or she gets as ratty as hell. Due to changes in EU regs the strength has dopped a lot so now she has to buy it online. Expensive.

have a nice day

Rambling

Rambling Report 12 Dec 2017 16:18

From an email just rec'

"“There are enough plastic straws to wrap around the Earth's circumference 2.5 times a day, and if we don't act fast enough, there will be more plastic in the sea than fish by 2050. "

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 12 Dec 2017 16:42

The planet has recovered from being totally frozen, large asteroid strikes and widespread vulcanism eg the Deccan Traps in India. Although the planet came through it was pretty bad news for 99% of living things.

It seems all the more sad today that the few survivors of the last huge extinction event are being wiped out by greed ignorance and the Asian medicine and restaurant businesses. Spanish and French fishing in the Pacific is close behind.

One of the reasons that Liam Fox and others are so keen on a total breach with the EU is that the UK would be free of "burdensome" enivornmental regulations. He ignores the threats of countermeasures which the EU has already put on the table.

Michael Gove, who has a little more brainpower than Fox, is aware that being seen as anti-nature did the Tories no good at all in the last election. It turns out that bats, great crested newts, bees and trees are much more popular than Nick Timothy imagined. Hence Gove's new found enthusiasm for the environment and beaver ponds.

At some point all the contradictory components of the Tory party are going to collide with a large bang. There will then be silence for some time. Corbyn's lot are only marginally better. Their most valuable asset is that they know someting needs fixing even if they are not sure quite what. Jezza himself might be a start.

Whatever happens to the environment now anybody over 50 is for the most part only going to see things getting worse more slowly if they are lucky. The issue is can climate change and human greed be fixed in time so that our grandchildren have something real to see on telly.

Or not, robot pets apps and holograms taking the place of reality.