General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

DNA testing and finding family

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Andrew

Andrew Report 14 Dec 2017 09:20

Interesting article.....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/stories-42256465

Andy

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 14 Dec 2017 10:31

Really interesting.

supercrutch

supercrutch Report 14 Dec 2017 16:19

Wow, amazing story :-D

**Ann**

**Ann** Report 14 Dec 2017 16:41

Just been on BBC news, how lovely to meet the person who found you 74 years ago :-) :-) <3 <3

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 14 Dec 2017 17:59

For anybody interested, FTDNA (the company I used) has its holiday sale on now.

Unfortunately, Ancestry probably has a larger database for matching now, because of all its advertising and the whole silliness of ethnicity percentages. FTDNA still offers the most help with understanding results, through the user forum and by joining group projects there.

Ancestry also does not offer any other DNA testing, e.g. YDNA for accurately tracing a male line.

Results from Ancestry or 23andMe can be uploaded to FRDNA (for a fee), but not vice versa, I believe.

https://www.familytreedna.com/sale

The autosomal DNA test equivalent to Ancestry's, 'Family Finder', is on sale for 59 USD (£44).

Ancestry's is on sale for £63 (85 USD)

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/dna/

but -- it is on sale -- ENDING TODAY -- at the US Ancestry portal for 69 USD (£51)

https://www.ancestry.com/?geo_a=r&geo_s=us&geo_t=us&geo_v=2.0.0&o_xid=62916&o_lid=62916&o_sch=Partners

If you are dealing with Ancestry, *always* shop around its different country sites for the best deal!

And yes that certainly is an amazing story. If only all the 'DNA sceptics' would read it!

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 15 Dec 2017 19:59

I was going to use My Heritage for me and o.h. as it's 2 for £78 at the mo. There's a chance o.h.'s g.grandfather was adopted but no one in the family knows anything other than a mention from a great aunt, now long gone.

I am just interested in my ethnic make up.

Has anyone else used My Heritage and were you satisfied with the service and info?

Lizx

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 15 Dec 2017 20:09

My nephew, sister and I used My Heritage.
Sister and I have the same basic 3 elements, but in different proportions!
It proves we are sisters! :-D :-D

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 15 Dec 2017 22:55

That's handy, Maggie lol

Did it give your geographical makeup?

Lizxx

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 17 Dec 2017 04:26

Liz and all, keep in mind that none of these tests tell you your geographic or ethnic ancestral makeup.

They tell you the geographic/ethnic makeup of your DNA, which is not the same as your ancestry.

We get random bits of DNA from each parent, as they did from their parents, etc.

Imagine that you have one Italian grx4 grandfather and the rest of your ancestors back to the 1600s were born in England.

For the sake of argument, say the Italian is your father's father's father's father's father's father.

His son got 67% of his DNA from his Italian father, and 35% from his English mother.
His son got the same percentage from his father and mother.

And so on down to you: 67% of your DNA from your father and 33% from your mother.

You are going to have a lot more Italian DNA than you have Italian ancestors!

You have 64 greatx4 grandparents, but your DNA will be much more than 1/64 Italian.

So this whole DNA geography/ethnicity thing may be fun, to show what there is somewhere in your ancestry, it does not by any means tell you what the makeup of your family tree is. :-)

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 17 Dec 2017 17:42

My Heritage have got an offer on....at $49....whatever that equates to....
£45

and £39
ooops if you buy two kits.....

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 17 Dec 2017 21:33

Liz, it did.
It was fairly detailed, basically, my sister and I are Northern & Western European, Irish/Scottish/Welsh (I read that as Celtic - one side is Cornish), and Iberian.

My sister was:.
66% Northern & Western European
32% Irish, Scottish and Welsh
1.2% Iberian

I was
47.1% Northern & Western European
43.4% Irish, Scottish and Welsh
9.5% Iberian

My sister's son (Irish Father) was
40.6% Northern & Western European
50.2% Irish, Scottish and Welsh
9.2% Italian