General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

New Family Members

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Tawny

Tawny Report 17 Dec 2017 22:56

Mr Owl and I decided our lives were too quiet so we got two fur babies. Turns out they were only five weeks old when we got them so too young to leave mum really but both are now 16 weeks old and thriving.

We answered an ad which said ready in three weeks so we assumed that they were about five weeks at the time. We assumed we would be going to look at the kittens, say yae or nae, pay a deposit and pick them up in a few weeks.

The carpet of the flat that we got them from had once I think judging by the edges been red but now it was black and the walls were yellow with nicotine stains. It was a clarty and maukit place. We were told just to take them when we saw them and did so as we decided our house was safer for them than this. The woman who owned the mother claimed the cat just kept getting pregnant. I can think of a way to solve this but didn't enlighten her.

No matter their origins we decided that despite their past Meg and Mog desperately needed a new home and that Mr Owl and I could provide a far better one than the one they were born in. They now have had two trips to the vet with a third one on December 28th for their second round of required injections.

Both kittens are now thriving and think everything is a toy which is as it should be.

Sharron

Sharron Report 17 Dec 2017 23:09

I have never had a kitten but I would advise anybody to not think they can entice in a feral. I have been freezing my tits off for three years now with the cat-flap wedged open while his lordships saunters in twice nightly to look disdainfully at me and eat his bikkies.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 17 Dec 2017 23:19

Tawny - well done!
As you say, the kittens are more than likely safer with you than with the previous owners.
I feel for their mother :-(
So pleased they are thriving. :-D

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 17 Dec 2017 23:20

I am so glad your rescued kittens are doing well, Tawny. What a dreadful life for their poor mother, a pity she can't be rescued and spayed, and moved to a place where the air isn't full of cigarette smoke and grime.

Love the names you have chosen. My son's fiancee's Devon Rex is called Jeremy, he is growing into the name lol

Lizxx

Tawny

Tawny Report 17 Dec 2017 23:22

Meg and Mog are for the moment house cats though the future remains undecided. Both are for the moment perfectly happy in the house. Though we're glad we got a pair as they both love having the other one to chase.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 18 Dec 2017 12:35

they sound adorable and very lucky kittens to have found you. If you live near a main road I think house cats are a good idea, especially from kittenhood as they will know no different. Grandson had a beautiful persian type housecat which fought and fought to go out. She had only been allowed out a few weeks and was about a year old when she ran out straight into a car and was killed, so sad.

JemimaFawr

JemimaFawr Report 18 Dec 2017 14:12

Great to hear that Meg and Mog are thriving under your care, Tawny.
They will give you so much love and pleasure for years to come!

We also have a new family member! We have taken in an abandoned cat.
He had been living rough at the back of my Grandson's old house and he started feeding it. His partner is terrified of cats, so I was begged to take him in 3 months ago, as Grandson has had to temporarily come home due to illness.

He has now had his jabs, been chipped, flea treated and wormed.
He is twice the size he was, and actually, he is now getting a bit too fat :-0

So far, despite having a scratching post, he has plucked my living room carpet, cushions and curtains .... but hey - we love him and he is spoiled rotten! :-D :-D

https://www.genesreunited.co.uk/keepsafe/asset/details/58669680

Sharron

Sharron Report 18 Dec 2017 15:32

How did you persuade him to come in?

Sharron

Sharron

JemimaFawr

JemimaFawr Report 18 Dec 2017 15:41

Sharron, he'd already had a home, but according to GS's neighbours he'd been thrown out after they had a dog. So he was tame but very nervous and frightened.

He was being fed by a few neighbours but outside.
When GS1 left his old house, we approached his "owner" who denied all knowledge of him, and so I enticed him into the house with biscuits and pushed him into a carrying case and brought him home. :-D :-D

After a bit of a difficult few days he settled down. But something must have scared him, because a couple of weeks after we had him he started to be scared of going out. So he's in most of the time and only goes into the garden for a short time.

He's about 5 according to the vet, but he has started acting like a kitten again and loves to play. My theory is that he was too busy trying to survive when he was a kitten, and so now he can be a kitten! :-D :-D :-D

Tawny

Tawny Report 20 Dec 2017 07:49

Aww I’m pleased your new fur baby has settled in Jem. Meg is proving very useful in helping us remove the wallpaper in the living room and the hall. We were told not to restrict their food intake as apparently kittens won’t over eat. Whoever said that hasn’t met Meg we will definitely need to watch her.

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 21 Dec 2017 13:05

<3
happy Christmas all you owls and pussycats

Tawny

Tawny Report 22 Dec 2017 21:37

Happy Christmas to you and yours too Rollo :-)