General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

How do they do that ?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

David

David Report 19 Dec 2017 08:40

I am the grateful owner of a Kindle Fire. Lots of books, Crossword puzzles,
Sudoku and other games. HOW can I order a book that may have taken
someone a year to write and have published And pay for it with one click.
One click and it whooshes from them (the publishers) to my Kindle.
I'm impressed. How do they do that ?

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 19 Dec 2017 08:41

Thecnology is a wonderful thing David. sometimes best not to try and understand, just enjoy. :-) :-) <3

David

David Report 19 Dec 2017 11:35

I do enjoy it Ann, was curious as to how that was possible.

Recall when I was a school boy building a crystal set. Thought that was magic then :-D

Sharron

Sharron Report 19 Dec 2017 11:51

I don't have a Kindle, just a coal-fired lap-top but there are some books I read on it that are free, often because they are old.

I am in awe of the people who carried out the research to that level without recourse to any technology. Have tried it myself and know what a difference the internet has made.

Sometimes I find things I really don't agree with but kind of concur because I am so in awe!

Mayfield

Mayfield Report 19 Dec 2017 15:39

I's all done with magic fairy dust, David. ;-)

David

David Report 19 Dec 2017 17:29

Quite possibly, but it all comes out the ground.

Llamedos Pam

Llamedos Pam Report 19 Dec 2017 17:49

Don’t have a kindle fire just two ordinary book kindles and they are the best things I love them although I have asked for books from Santa

David

David Report 19 Dec 2017 18:28

I had one, upgraded to the Kindle Fire. I'm grateful I can read.

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 20 Dec 2017 00:47

Mirrors and magic, come to mind
when at work, I used to maintain AGV's, automatic guided vehicles. that collected Engines and delivered them to a waiting test cell, and offloaded tested engines for further installation.

all done with infrared sensors, mirrors, and a little magic in the computer logic systems, controlling the complex..

David

David Report 20 Dec 2017 07:04

I bought a PC when I was about 64 years of age. Never cease to be very impressed.

at their abilities. Thought Fax was quick years ago, e-mails are almost instant, making most postal communication almost obsolete. Witness the growth of online
forums. Ebay, Amazon, online banking.People of school age take these things for
granted, but I continue to be impressed. You Tube's ability to stream old (or new)
films and music to me is amazing.

But to send a book to my Kindle with one click ? beyond my ken. :-D