General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

I am so delighted I would like to share this

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Mel Fairy Godmother

Mel Fairy Godmother Report 23 Dec 2017 12:15

When I was 8 years old I was a bridesmaid to a second cousin Hilary. After the wedding Hilary and her husband moved to Germany as hubby was in the forces. From there they went to the USA.

Hilary was the only daughter of my paternal nans youngest sister who died when Hilary was young.

I have pictures of her wedding and when I started my tree in 2006ish I tried to get in touch with her through Curious Fox. I knew she had a son and his name and looked up the name on white pages in America contacting someone who I thought maybe him. No reply.

A couple of months ago I had a message on Curious Fox telling me I had a Hilary who wanted to get in touch with me.

I replied to her message and it seems her sons lady friend spotted her name on Curious Fox and thats why she replied after joining the site. We exchanged a few messages with questions on that only we could possibly answer and once confirmed we exchanged email addresses and home addresses.

We are now in touch and after 60 years I have recieved a Christmas card from her and I hope she from me. She has'nt let me know yet.

I am so delighted that after all that time I still have a lovely cousin living in the USA.

At the time I had a few tears.

So don't ever give up looking everyone wishes do come true!

:-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 23 Dec 2017 12:24

What a lovely, cheerful, thing to have happened <3 <3

PricklyHolly

PricklyHolly Report 23 Dec 2017 13:26

Delightful indeed Mel.

Merry Christmas to you and your new found cousin.

<3

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 23 Dec 2017 13:33

Lovely Mel, really pleased for you.

BrianW

BrianW Report 23 Dec 2017 13:55

Odd how connections surface after decades.
It was only a little while ago when extending my tree towards the present that I discovered that a class-mate of mine at junior school over sixty years ago is an x-times cousin of my wife.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 23 Dec 2017 13:57

That's lovely and makes all the searching worthwhile

I started doing my tree when the 1901 census came on line looking for FIL because he was put in a children's home in 1907 aged 6

He was born after the 1901 census was taken but i found his mum and two older sisters
He knew about the elder one but not the younger as sadly she died before he was born and died aged 15months and was buried the day he was born so tragic

So his parents weren't married and I had traced both sides but not his mums death as she lived with different guys and took their names

Soooo never traced his sister but did connect with some relatives of his mum who didn't know he existed
Out of the blue last year through one of the old contacts his sisters grandaughter made contact .she lives in Canada and I had been told his sister went to Canada but hadn't been able to find the info. Seems his sister married a Canadian surgeon who was in England with the forces in ww1 so emigaed under her married name
The granddaughter had no idea he existed either as her gran didn't talk much about her family
So many family secrets

I am in contact now as well as hubbies sister who is biologically related and we hope to meet up in2018 when she and her hubby are planning a visit to the uk

Mel Fairy Godmother

Mel Fairy Godmother Report 23 Dec 2017 15:39

Ahh Shirley thats really lovely too.

Arn't some of us lucky with our searches?

Happy Christmas to you all and Happy Hunting in the New Year. xx