General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Dame Agatha Christie.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

David

David Report 24 Dec 2017 09:40

What a remarkable woman, Created Miss Marple amateur detective and the

Belgian Detective Hercule Poirot. Dozens of short stories, many of them

shown on TV. And I've never read a word but enjoyed on TV.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 24 Dec 2017 09:48

I probably read my way through the majority during my early teenage years. It’s a good thing I’ve forgotten the plots. That way we can enjoy the TV adaptations without getting cross. :-D

David

David Report 24 Dec 2017 09:52

Yes Det, all her characters and story scenarios seem "posh"

Catherine Cookson's stories are all set in near poverty. Just as popular.

LaGooner

LaGooner Report 24 Dec 2017 10:01

I think I have read all of the novels and seen all of the films and plays. I first read her in my very early teens and collected the books

David

David Report 24 Dec 2017 10:26

I'm no judge but she does seem an intelligent woman the stories are so intricate.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 24 Dec 2017 10:31

I have a stack of Agatha Christie books upstairs, and love finding one I haven't read :-D
I watched one yesterday that had been updated - it had mobile phones.
Not too keen on that, it was 'dated' as soon as it came out, I prefer them set in the time they were written.

David

David Report 24 Dec 2017 10:35

Yes, if I'm not mistaken she created Poirot and Marple in the thirties..

No word processors back then.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 24 Dec 2017 14:02

Love the TV adaptations. Recently went to see the film Murder on the Orient Express and enjoyed it, although I have always preferred Miss Marple to Poirot. I have not actually read any of the books though.

Agatha Christie spent a lot of time in North Tenerife (Puerto de La Cruz ) and the village above the town. Where she spent a lot of time in Puerto is now an Orchid garden. And where she stayed above Puerto the beautiful old house is still there and the walkway to the sea is named for Agatha Christie.

David

David Report 24 Dec 2017 14:24

I "thought" she was a spinster. Was wrong, she married twice one daughter.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 24 Dec 2017 14:41

I have to admit to having all three titles of 'And Then There Were None'.
The previous two titles were changed, due to being politically/racially incorrect,

Rambling

Rambling Report 24 Dec 2017 14:53

I've read quite a few of the books, and seen all of the tv adaptations I think.

I liked Geraldine McEwan as Miss Marple best, played deceptively 'light' but with a depth of character beyond 'the sleuth', but I know purists prefer Joan Hickson, (who wore the same hats and suits as my grandmother so reminds me of her). I still can't quite take to Julia McKenzie in the role.

There is only one Poirot though :-)

David

David Report 24 Dec 2017 15:03

She must be a jinx (Marple)...always surrounded by murders :-0

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 24 Dec 2017 15:13

I loved Joan Hickson in the role and quite like Geraldine McEwan but, like you Rose can't quite take to Julia McKenzie. Kenneth Branagh was, I thought a very good Poirot in the film.

David

David Report 24 Dec 2017 15:17

As these sleuths are amatures they must be independent means ?

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 24 Dec 2017 15:19

True, Rose, only one Poirot!

David Suchet put his heart, soul and coins between his buttocks to get the 'walk' :-D :-D :-D :-D

Rambling

Rambling Report 24 Dec 2017 15:42

Ann, I haven't seen the new film but Dan has and he enjoyed it :-)

David

David Report 24 Dec 2017 16:02

David Suchet put his heart, soul and coins between his buttocks to get the 'walk'

Well I never.....I thought his shoes were too tight :-)

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 24 Dec 2017 17:33

Well, it was mainly coins :-D :-D :-D :-D