General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Anyone have a hermit's hut they're not using?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Rambling

Rambling Report 4 Jan 2018 13:34

I want to run away lol.

This would do nicely...

"I will arise and go now, and go to Innisfree,
And a small cabin build there, of clay and wattles made;
Nine bean-rows will I have there, a hive for the honey-bee,
And live alone in the bee-loud glade." ( W B Yeats)

I do not want a phone, tv or computer, especially not the phone!

Today's "ask Rose" call :

Do I know where to get a letterbox, mend/sell a trailer, whether a cat at the rescue centre is "too old to be kittenish, but not so old that it will get sick", whether an Umbrella plant will grow again if you cut the top off, why the shopping person brought back salt that wasn't 'Saxa' ( mistaken I think for "sack of salt"?). Or whether I think it is rude of the OH of volunteer who was doing the shopping to walk from one end of the room to the other to look at the garden and comment on the apple tree,..... oh and can I find a psychic who will make a home visit.

aaarrrghhh :-|

Sharron

Sharron Report 4 Jan 2018 13:54

Am I still young enough to eat things that may contain raw egg?

Rambling

Rambling Report 4 Jan 2018 14:04

Yes lol, unless you have a pre existing intolerance/ medical condition or you buy your eggs from a 'dodgy' source .....but do check with a Dr first if you have any concerns :-)

EDIT and if you might be pregnant, then probably not, just to be on the safe side
:-D

Sharron

Sharron Report 4 Jan 2018 14:09

But how old do you have to be to stop eating raw egg? How long must you have been one of 'the elderly'?

Caroline

Caroline Report 4 Jan 2018 14:16

You probably won't know until it's an egg too far Sharron.

Rambling

Rambling Report 4 Jan 2018 14:18

Ah the vexed question of what constitutes elderly ;-) I did notice the word applied to someone my age last week in a newspaper which was a liitle bit of a shock, but then last year was such a bad year for 'youngish' (ie just a bit older than me) people dying, I would hesitate to answer.

I think it's more about your health than about your actual age, in which case I am elderly by my own definition because I have conditions one associates with an older age group. It's a bitch!

Generally speaking if your health is good, your age doesn't matter :-)

Speaking of eggs, I have sometimes found a double yolker, but last lot I bought I got one without a yolk at all :-0

Dermot

Dermot Report 4 Jan 2018 14:32

In my previous existence, an egg without a yolk was known as a 'glugger'. :-)

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 4 Jan 2018 16:10

ooh I would feel cheated if I had an egg without a yolk.

Rose were thos questions all in one phone call from the same person. Have you conssidered getting an answer phone and 'being out' while you filter the call?

Rambling

Rambling Report 4 Jan 2018 16:20

I did feel cheated Ann lol, can't make an omelette with no yolk :-)

Yes and yes, the problem being she will only keep calling back ( every 15 minutes on one day when I just felt too poorly to care lol) until I answer, so an answer phone would only be putting off the inevitable. Usually it's Sundays and Wednesdays, but Christmas and NY have disrupted the routine lol.

Sue In Yorkshire.

Sue In Yorkshire. Report 4 Jan 2018 16:39

Can find you a biggish cave on North York Moors if you need that break.. ;-) ;-)

Rambling

Rambling Report 4 Jan 2018 16:47

Think I might pass on the cave Sue, I'm a bit 'nesh' these days :-)

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 4 Jan 2018 18:19

I own an old house in Westport not that far from Innisfree. I acquired it as settlement for a debt when the value was small and the debt large and the holes in the roof larger. You never know when what looks like a bad deal will work out well.

Apart from fiixing the roof and chimney I have not done much to it W B Yeats would be quite at home. There are plenty of islands nearby.

The house is deficient in most aspects of C21 life except for an internet feed which is hidden.. No phone plugged in. Once upon a time I had "Grand Designs" for the place but now I like it just the way it is. When the world seems to be full of Mad Men it is a great place to be.

I hope your search is successful but don't stay there too long it becomes addictive.

Rambling

Rambling Report 4 Jan 2018 18:28

Sound wonderful Rollo lol, I have just been amusing myself looking ( online) at a semi derelict property, not that I can afford it, but it's temptingly situated far from the madding crowd :-)

Dermot

Dermot Report 4 Jan 2018 18:30

Westport - a lovely little town.

'Emma'

'Emma' Report 4 Jan 2018 18:31

Or a wee But and Ben in the highlands Rose :-)

Rambling

Rambling Report 4 Jan 2018 19:00

I have been looking at the Highlands too Emma :- )