General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Going Down Easy

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 5 Jan 2018 14:22

Toby Young quotes

On ‘inclusivity’ in schools, wheelchair ramps and troglodytes

In 2012 Young wrote in a column for Spectator magazine:

Inclusive. It’s one of those ghastly, politically correct words that have survived the demise of New Labour. Schools have got to be ‘inclusive’ these days. That means wheelchair ramps, the complete works of Alice Walker in the school library (though no Mark Twain) and a Special Educational Needs Department that can cope with everything from dyslexia to Münchausen syndrome by proxy. If [then education secretary, Michael] Gove is serious about wanting to bring back O-levels, the government will have to repeal the Equalities Act because any exam that isn’t ‘accessible’ to a functionally illiterate troglodyte with a mental age of six will be judged to be ‘elitist’ and therefore forbidden by Harman’s Law.

On eugenics and selective breeding for high IQ

https://quadrant.org.au/magazine/2015/09/fall-meritocracy/

In a 2015 essay for the Australian publication The Quadrant, entitled The fall of the meritocracy, under a section headed “Progressive eugenics”, Young proposed that poorer people should be helped to choose which embryos were allowed to develop, based on intelligence.

My proposal is this: once this technology [genetically engineered intelligence] becomes available, why not offer it free of charge to parents on low incomes with below-average IQs? Provided there is sufficient take-up, it could help to address the problem of flat-lining inter-generational social mobility and serve as a counterweight to the tendency for the meritocratic elite to become a hereditary elite. It might make all the difference when it comes to the long-term sustainability of advanced meritocratic societies.

In November 2017, Young claimed he had been “no platformed” and “censored” by Teach First, which removed a blogpost of his from their site in which he expressed similar ideas.
On teachers having an easy job

Interviewed on camera in 2013, Young said:

Teachers complain a lot about how tough their job is. But, you know, the day begins in most schools at nine o’clock, ends at 3.30pm. They have six weeks’ holiday during the summer, two weeks’ holiday at Easter and at Christmas. Yes, they don’t just work when they’re at school, but even so, compared to a lot of other jobs, it’s not that tough.

On ‘universally unattractive’ working-class students at Oxford

In a 1988 book The Oxford Myth, Young wrote about working class students, or “stains”, arriving at Oxford.

It was as if all the meritocratic fantasies of every 1960s educationalist had come true and all Harold Wilson’s children had been let in at the gate … Small, vaguely deformed undergraduates would scuttle across the quad as if carrying mobile homes on their backs. Replete with acne and anoraks, they would peer up through thick pebble-glasses, pausing only to blow their noses.

On TV presenter Claudia Winkleman

In 2009, while watching the Comic Relief charity appeal on television, Young posted to Twitter: “What happened to [Claudia] Winkleman’s breasts? Put on some weight, girlie.”
Toby Young tweets about Claudia Winkleman’s breasts during Comic Relief
On visible cleavage behind Ed Miliband in the House of Commons
During PMQs, Young tweeted: “Serious cleavage behind Ed Miliband’s head. Anyone know who it belongs to?”

He was later questioned about this on BBC Newsnight in a segment where he was opposing the Labour MP Stella Creasy on the campaign against cyber-bullying. “It wasn’t my proudest moment,” said Young of the tweet. “I asked who a particular MP who one couldn’t see the head of, but was sitting behind Ed Miliband and wearing an extremely low-cut dress … I committed the sin of noticing it and apparently this constitutes harassment in some people’s views.”

On Padma Lakshmi

Young sent several tweets about the breasts of the US television host Padma Lakshmi, with whom he appeared on the US reality show Top Chef.
Toby Young tweets about Top Chef co-star Padma Lakshmi’s breasts

He also claimed in one tweet, now deleted, that a photoshoot with Lakshmi looked the way it did because he had his “dick up her arse”.
Toby Young’s now deleted tweet claiming to have had his dick up Padma Lakshmi’s arse

Young has described the tweets, posted between 2009 and 2012, as “sophomoric and politically incorrect”. On sexual harassment in the workplace

In December 2016, Young wrote for the Spectator that “companies need to get prepared for young employees who will take offence at anything”. He gave an example from his own working history:

After I’d made a couple more of these unsuccessful attempts at flirtatious banter, someone left a copy of Condé Nast’s ‘Sexual Harassment Policy’ on my desk. ‘It has long been the policy of Condé Nast to maintain a professional working environment for all its employees, free of any form of discrimination or harassment,’ it said. The next bit was underlined in red felt-tip pen: ‘A joke considered amusing by one may be offensive to another.’ I found out just how true those words were when I hired a strippergram to surprise a male colleague on his birthday on what turned out to be Take Our Daughters to Work Day.

A breed apart ?