General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Change to Facebook

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 13 Jan 2018 22:08

I was looking for something posted on my FB a few days ago. I scrolled down - then it stopped and there was a message:

'Do you want to see more posts?'

"The more friends you add, the more posts, photos and videos you'll see in News Feed." (with an 'Invite friends' button)

Basically, I can't see anything posted more than 3 days ago, because I don't have enough friends. I don't want to 'befriend' friends of friends - I've mainly got family and close friends, - I really don't want to interact with, essentially, strangers.

I also don't necessarily look at FB every day.

Rambling

Rambling Report 13 Jan 2018 22:11

Maggie, it does that with me sometimes, but then next time I go on it is back to 'normal'.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 13 Jan 2018 22:41

Whew! I though FB was becoming a dictatorship - You shall have more 'friends' we can track - or else!! :-S :-S

...problem is, I obviously don't trust it too much.....

Sue In Yorkshire.

Sue In Yorkshire. Report 13 Jan 2018 22:45

News out today is.Facebook are going to concentrate on mor family and friends NOT the Business end.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 13 Jan 2018 23:01

...so why the 'more friends more newsfeed' rubbish then?

It's the first time It's happened to me, and I wasn't a happy bunny!

Rambling

Rambling Report 13 Jan 2018 23:08

I get so fed up with the " people you may know" , I don't, I really don't lol, some are friends of friends of people I've helped with genealogy queries, but I've found that if you click on "see fewer posts like this" or whatever it says,FB seems to find you another batch lol.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 13 Jan 2018 23:48

Oh, yes, I get the 'people you may know' (why should I know them?), but never before (that I can remember) have I had the 'get more friends or you can't see your newsfeed' rubbish before.

I mean, I may wish to 'share' something I saw 5 days ago, but FB are saying I don't have enough friends to look beyond 3 days.
Since when did the number of 'friends' you have dictate what you can say/share?

BrianW

BrianW Report 14 Jan 2018 07:54

I am steering clear of Facebook, the OH is on it and we are getting up to 30 messages a day and it's almost a full time job deleting them.

Plus I don't like their business model and don't trust their security.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 14 Jan 2018 09:57

I still can't scroll back beyond the FB message.
I think this message may be FB's way of encouraging
'meaningful access' to my friends - but like most 'corporate improvements', it actually leads to less.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 14 Jan 2018 11:04

I have had that message but it is usually ok when I next go on. The 'people you might know' is aggravating, although I did actually pick up somebody that I wanted to get in touch with from it.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 14 Jan 2018 22:44

Well, today, I can only see 2 days worth of posts :-| :-| :-|