General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Tea time treat

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Elizabethofseasons

Elizabethofseasons Report 14 Jan 2018 14:59

Dear All

Hello

Well, its almost tea time on a Sunday.

The weather is gloomy, Hawaii is recovering from a false ballistic missile strike
and there is much doom and gloom in the news.

So this song could be a small treat to listen to:

BORN FREE

Born free, as free as the wind blows
As free as the grass grows
Born free to follow your heart

Live free and beauty surrounds you
The world still astounds you
Each time you look at a star

Stay free, where no walls divide you
You're free as a roaring tide
So there's no need to hide

Born free and life is worth living
But only worth living
'Cause you're born free

Stay free, where no walls divide you
You're free as a roaring tide
So there's no need to hide

Writer: Mr John Barry

As sung by: Mr Matt Munro

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Have you got any favourite memories of Sundays?

Take gentle care
With best wishes
Love Elizabeth, EOS
xx

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 14 Jan 2018 15:07

Lovely words to that song Elizabeth.

Sundays were not my favourite day as a child born in the 40s. From the age of five I spent Sunday afternoons in Sunday school (I think I quite liked it once there), and did that until I was 15 when I became a Sunday School teacher. (Baptist). After that I went to church on Sunday evenings, have fond memories of church as we always had a large contingent of young RN Artificer apprentices in church and It is where I met my OH two months before my 16th birthday.

My parents, well mainly my mother were quite strict and my mother still held Victorian ideas. Sunday I was not allowed to play board games, knit, go to the cinema or do anything my mother classed as being against bible teaching. I would spend time reading.
However I remember Sundays with mixed feelings as my parents were sociable and liked to invite the Navy boys to tea!!!! :-) :-) :-) ;-)

Kay????

Kay???? Report 14 Jan 2018 19:02

Dark winter sunday teas were great when I was young,hot toast with something, boiled eggs,soup,cheese on toast,or even a butter soaked jacket spud ,hot home made sausage rolls.,,,toast was always done on the open fire and we had much the same during the week.but sundays was a bit special because we all sat round the fire.

I remember more than often my brother dropping his crumpet yuk!) on the fire and he still ate it covered in ash and burnt...and he still roasts them under the grill till they resemble something out of a volcano. :-D.

Florence61

Florence61 Report 14 Jan 2018 23:05

When I was young, I always went to visit my grandparents. We would have Sunday dinner but tea time was better. Red salmon salad with cucumber, lettuce, beetroot etc. Lovely brown thick bread and then Tinned peaches and vanilla ice cream or carnation milk.

But in the holidays sun eve supper was at 9pm and we always had cheese on toast and hot chocolate...happy days.
We were allowed out in the garden sun afternoons as long as we didn't make too much noise. Grandad was a Baptist minister and would be resting for the evening service.We sometimes were allowed to go for a walk over to the beach and if we were really lucky we got a small cornet of ice cream from the kiosk.

Strange really because that was in the 60s and 70s yet up here in 2018, they are more strict on sundays than ever. Some churches will only "let you out" to go to church. You are not allowed to walk, write a letter, watch tv.Instead, they have to read the bible when they get up. Go to church.eat food and go to bed. Read some more than go again. Come home, light supper read some more and bed.

There are places here open but when they do, the churches are in uproar.

I believe everyone has a choice and no one should tell anyone what to do on a sunday. As long as you respect others and act appropriately then leave everyone to do as they please.
But Sunday tea was always salad as I guess after a huge roast you wouldn't want anything heavy later. Crumpets we had too for supper and a few burnt ones...lol but tasty still.

Florence in the hebrides

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 14 Jan 2018 23:27

Well, as a youngster, I was always sent to Sunday School.
Even then, I found this odd, because neither of my parents went to Church.
Then I found out (much, much later),that I was sent there to give my parents some 'adult time' alone :-0 (true, it's difficult when you live in a caravan).
Apparently, the other 3 of my siblings were quite happy to disappear every Sunday - but I wanted to stay at home - hence I was shunted off.

In Horrabridge (where we lived in a house), I was 9 and STILL sent to Sunday School, but I met a 'soulmate'.
Not only did we go to Sunday School - we went to the service, with boxes of 'imps' in our pockets. We'd suck these throughout the service, showing each other our blackening tongues. Then, we'd wait behind and go to Sunday School, where, quite often, we would be 'teaching' younger children - and trying to hide our black tongues

I love burnt crumpets :-D :-D :-D

Linda

Linda Report 15 Jan 2018 00:16

When we lived in Cornwall I spent my weekends down on the farm so on a Sunday sometimes I went to chapel with my aunt although I am RC sometimes my aunt's brother would come over to preach these were the best days because he would bring the family with him and after chapel we would all head for our favourite beach and have a picnic meat pasties Apple pasties yeast and saffron buns and clotted cream and in between us children swimming in the sea I could not have wished for a better childhood.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 15 Jan 2018 11:34

Sounds idyllic Linda.

I used to work with somebody who was very 'religious'. She would not even read a newspaper on Monday because they were printed on Sunday. She never cooked anything on Sundays because that was work. My Mum was not quite that fanatic.