General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Conundrum

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 14 Jan 2018 19:37

I'm going through my many old books, with a thought to selling those in good condition or antiquity.
I have 'rediscovered' a book - not in very good condition, no discernible date, but with a paper stuck inside the cover declaring it as a prize in February 1906, to a Miss Darby.
Inside the book, however, carefully wrapped in tissue paper is a memorial ribbon bookmark commemorating Elizabeth Littlemore, the 'dearly loved wife' of Harry.
I would love to return these to any living ancestors.

Now, I have Miss Darby's forename, I also have Elizabeth's second name, and have (probably) worked out her maiden name.
I also have her date of death and age when she died - on the ribbon - (therefore her approximate birth year).

I've looked on the trees on here, and using all the names, have come up with 5 different potential relations :-S

Oh - and I don't think Miss Darby is related to the Littlemores.

What do you think I should do?

LaGooner

LaGooner Report 14 Jan 2018 19:47

Could you not put it on Facebook Maggie to see if anyone knows the family

Rambling

Rambling Report 14 Jan 2018 19:51

Can you work out who is closest relative who has Elizabeth or Harry on tree? or just message them all and see if anyone replies?

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 14 Jan 2018 20:43

One person has Harry and Elizabeth (no second name) Littlemore, but not Elizabeth under her married name - Harry and Elizabeth could be siblings on his tree.

I don't want 5 people saying 'it's mine' - it may be, but I've only got one :-S

Rambling

Rambling Report 14 Jan 2018 20:57

I doubt you'll get 5 responses lol , that would be a miracle on here, but if you say you're looking for proven close relatives you should be able to weed one of them out above the others?

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 14 Jan 2018 21:14

Yes, I think I'll e-mail the one with Harry and Elizabeth and see if they were married.

There's one strong potential for Miss Darby I think I'll see if they're the one and whether they want the book.
It's pretty boring - it's 'The Cloister and the Hearth'.

MR_MAGOO

MR_MAGOO Report 14 Jan 2018 22:21

I bought a paperback book about a local woman, found another later and bought it £4. Looked on here and found 3 with her in their tree.
Chose the middle one......JACKPOT.
She was in touch with the niece who was mentioned in the book. The lady emigrated to Canada with her brother.
I sent the lady in UK the book, she was over the moon as she only had a photocopy of the book.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 14 Jan 2018 22:40

That's lovely, Mr Magoo.

I've had this book for years - and apart from her family not noticing the bookmark, I don't think Miss Darby is related, so even if her family had noticed it, they would probably have thrown it out.

Which has reminded me - somewhere I have a collection of bookmarks (including three funeral memorial ones) found at my gran's, all family related (initials/names etc)