General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Oops, too much.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sharron

Sharron Report 14 Jan 2018 22:39

Today we have been prepping the fruit for marmalade and I have boiled up the fruit. The sugar will have to go in tomorrow because I think I must have over-estimated a little.

Well, normally, I just go and pick up the fruit and don't weigh it (do slap and dash come together readily in your mind?) then add a bit more sugar if it doesn't gel. This year, Fred's mate was going to be coming through the market so I asked him to pick up seven pounds of oranges,

Evidently, I don't usually use that weight of fruit because the preserving pan is full and I am going to need to boil it up in two batches when I get the sugar in.

We are not going to be badly off for marmalade this year either!

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 14 Jan 2018 22:41

Yummy!! :-D :-D

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 15 Jan 2018 11:35

:-D :-D :-D <3

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 15 Jan 2018 11:57

Wish I lived near enough to off load the jam jars I have sitting here.

They can go in the recycling bin, but I prefer to give them to jam / marmalade or chutney makers.

Homemade marmalade always reminds me of when we lived in Cyprus. My parents came to stay and couldn't get over the fallen oranges going to waste near the roadside by a nearby orange grove.
Mum was of the 'waste-not-want-not ' era and so they set to, making delicious marmalade, which lasted the rest of our posting there.

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 15 Jan 2018 18:39

Hi Gwyn

Before you recycle the jam jars it might be worth ringing the local charity shops to see if they want them - we are often asked for them.

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 15 Jan 2018 19:15

You're right Jacqueline.

I do know of one shop in Folkestone, which I can take them to, as they've been grateful in the past.
.I think volunteers make marmalade for them to sell for funds.

Sharron

Sharron Report 15 Jan 2018 20:43

I have jars, they go on and on, but the lids rust away after the inside paint comes off.