General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Oh no loo wouldn't flush

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 15 Jan 2018 13:48

Sooo was at daughters last week as she had to go on a course in London and had to stay over

Her stepson aged 17 but with learning difficulties is still at school and not able to look after himself.Her hubby too is a lorry driver who may not get home every evening

So came home Thursday but wasn't feeling that bright
Didn't help that there was a smack up on the A2 and we were diverted off and I was hopelessly lost. I did get home eventually

So Friday I was not feeling too good and then got the feeling and had to run asap
Happened several times during the day

But then had yet another visit and with a clunk the push button didn't activate the flush
Panic as it needed a flush!!!

A phone call to my mr man plumber made an appointment for this morning

Soo the symphon system had failed but he was able to go out and get a new one and fit it

£160 3 hours later we have flush

Tummy has settled too

Thank goodness I have a loo upstairs in the bathroom but had to make time to get there just in case !!!!

Not having a working loo isn't good !!!!

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 15 Jan 2018 14:16

Changing the syphon is a doddle they are about £ 25 from B&Q, Wickes Plumbes etc etc.

https://www.plumberparts.co.uk/advice/bathroom/toilet/how-to-change-a-toilet-syphon-unit

If you have a typical smart mobile phone you have google maps or similar and navigation. It will see your way home using just the voice output no need to touch anything and break the law.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 15 Jan 2018 14:24

Yes my I phone does have google maps but the weather was awful and the traffic was nose to tail
I was looking for somewhere to pull over to look but it was country lanes with no parking areas so I had to just keep driving as I had heavy traffic behind me
More by luck than judgement I found a sign post for the M2 Faversham and was able to get there and then home

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 15 Jan 2018 16:59

Not a good thing when you really, really need to go. Even if you were confident enough to repair it, you probably wouldn’t want to risk leaving home!
A bucket of water is a handy way to flush, if it should happen again.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 15 Jan 2018 17:31

I don't have a bucket as no use for one so it was 2pint jugs of water several times to clear!!!

Am not too clever on stairs so the urge was oh no better get to the bathroom asap

The chair lift we had put in for hubby did overtime as was quicker!!

Said to the plumber today you have no idea the inconvenience of not having the downstairs loo!!!!!

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 15 Jan 2018 17:41

No buckets? My goodness, how do you cope? We use ours for all sorts of things such as holding water for washing the outside windows, the car or collecting weeds when so inclined.
At least the stair lift came in handy. No doubt you’re pleased you didn’t take it out :-)

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 15 Jan 2018 18:01

Yes i was asked what you doing about the stair lift when hubby passed in oct 2015

My response was well it was only put in in Feb and is attached to several stairs over new carpet so will leave it and I might need it myself !!

So I do have garden buckets but they are soft plastic so not really suitable for water

I take the car to the car wash !
I have a window cleaner !

I soak things in the bidet if needed !!

:-D

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 15 Jan 2018 18:11

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yD-ffhvefsw
:-D