General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Snow

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

GlasgowLass

GlasgowLass Report 19 Jan 2018 13:04

When will it stop?
Big snowfall on Tuesday and every day and/or night since.
Every time there is a slight thaw, it snows again and takes the depth back to the original level
We've even had thundersnow.
The noise is deafening but the lightning that comes with it is really scary.

Main roads are generally fine but, OH had difficulty with his car and our street ( see photo)
He managed to get it out and abandoned it at the entrance to our estate on Wednesday.

Today, all schools in our council area have closed for the day and it's snowing heavily again.

Oh and daughter are flying to the US from Edinburgh early evening and have already set out.
The East of Scotland isn't too badly affected but, the real issue is getting out of our home town right now.

This was the scene on Wed morning and it's no better today. If anything, it's worse
I am sick of it now.

https://www.genesreunited.co.uk/keepsafe/asset/details/64640787

Mersey

Mersey Report 19 Jan 2018 13:20

Hi GL :-) <3

J's family have been on skype showing us the snow and how bad it is in Scotland. Looks so bad and especially for those trying to get to work via car, in and out of Glasgow. We were going to visit them for the weekend but had put it off so glad in away.

Hope all goes well for your oh and your daughter travelling to Edinburgh.

Stay safe and warm
<3 <3

GlasgowLass

GlasgowLass Report 19 Jan 2018 13:33

They got there without any bother Mersey !

As usual., the sky went black and the snow was really heavy for quite a while.
20 mins after they left, it stopped and sky is a mixture of blue/white again.

Give it an hour and and it will change again.
Been happening since Tuesday

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 19 Jan 2018 15:12

I hate it
Yes It looks lovely as it falls and great fun for kids but the practicality is a pain when you have to travel or get to work
Employers seem to think you are pulling the leg cos they got in so you should too!!

Well different areas have different problems !!
I commuted to London from Kent and it had its problems depending which part of Kent you travelled in from. Being told you have to make the time up after sitting in a stationery train for what seemed hours made you think they didn't believe you that you had tried to get into work

Yes a no win all around but frustrating

JoyBoroAngel

JoyBoroAngel Report 19 Jan 2018 15:36

We have snow too
Though no extra today cant wait for it to go :-D :-D

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 19 Jan 2018 17:44

Do you guys have tyres that are rated for driving in snow ........

....... NOT all weather tyres, which are useless for snow driving!

or has Britain still not come to terms with the need for that?

We don't get much snow in Vancouver, but it does happen, so OH makes sure we have good winter tyres, marked with either a mountain or snow symbol. We would need that if we drove out less than 50 miles away where snow is more common, or if we had 5 cm or more of snow here.

If we don't have those tyres, and get stuck in snow, there is quite a large fine.

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 20 Jan 2018 07:13

Coincidentally, o.h.'s son returned to N.York on Friday from Edinburgh, which as he has been to see his family here in Norwich seems odd. We don't know why he flew in to Edinburgh in the first place, a week ago, as he then hired a car to drive down to Norfolk but o.h. was worried he wouldn't get back in time for his flight. We've heard nothing so assume he made it. I suppose it will be another few months before he makes contact again, it took him till Wednesday to meet up with o.h. for 2 hrs even tho he hadn't seen his dad for 7 years!

No snow here yet, maybe it's waiting to appear when we go to Sheringham for oh's birthday week in early February! Next year at that time, he will be retiring, heaven help me!!

Stsy safe everyone who's got bad weather

Lizx

Sue In Yorkshire.

Sue In Yorkshire. Report 20 Jan 2018 08:46

Yes I feel sorry that you in Glasgow but don't you know you can buy snow chains.

They certainly help the Canadian Truckers get around the country.

And don't forget back in the 50/60's we used to have to walk in at least 18inches of snow to get to work.

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 20 Jan 2018 10:55

Two thirds of the UK area lies north of the snow line from the Humber to the Brecon Beacons. Two thirds of the population live south of the snow line. Sure they get heavy snow now and again but not in the same way.

Of course not getting your annual snow fix demands palliative measures such as skiing but it all chimes in with today's fashion of "getting back control" .

I once drove from Santa Cruz to Denver in a rental Saturn on regular California tyres. It was April and I did not expect heavy snow nr Prince. All the same I made it through without chains or winter tyres just a matter of being careful

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 20 Jan 2018 12:26

Over coffee yesterday morning, my pals and I (all over 70) were reminiscing about winters when we were young - travelling miles through snow in a mini in order to ski, to dance and such like.

Snow never stopped us getting to work so why would we let it stop us from doing enjoyable stuff.

You're only young once folks. :-D

GlasgowLass

GlasgowLass Report 20 Jan 2018 13:20

I saw a tweet on Wednesday which was completely accurate.
A man drove more than 30miles cross country, over moors to get to work in our town.

He had no bother getting here and no bother driving on the cleared, ploughed and gritted main roads but, once he got up here, he was staggered at the number of people that he saw who could not get out of their own street.
It's completely accurate.

We both have winter tyres on our cars.

If OH put chains on his tyres, he would be taking them off within 2 mins when he reached the main road.
When snow falls suddenly up here, the main roads often come to a halt. (ie M74 last Tuesday night)
The best chains in the world serve no purpose when you join a queue behind miles of stationary traffic

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 20 Jan 2018 15:10

The situation is the same here GL. Side roads not cleared, main roads cleared - but even they were slushy yesterday morning and traffic was moving very slowly as you wrote.

It was the same when we were young - but, although snow made some of us late, I don't recall missing a day's work because of it even when I was working at an old country pile miles from anywhere. It was not unusual for people to walk a mile or two when buses were late though.

GlasgowLass

GlasgowLass Report 21 Jan 2018 11:49

I'm a bit spooked today.
Although it's snowing on and off again this morning, we had no fresh fall yesterday.
With OH and middle daughter in the US, it's only me and my youngest at home.
(Eldest and her OH are in Ireland)

I opened the patio door blinds this morning and there is a set of large, fresh footprints on the decking.
No one in the family has been out there since the snow started on Tuesday and they were not there yesterday morning
Me and youngest went out for the whole afternoon.

I opened the back door to have a look.
I can see the prints come along the rear of the house, up the 4 wooden steps and onto the patio outside the window. I can also see the same prints leaving.

The house is alarmed and it's always set when we go out and at night.
OH does not get back home until Tuesday.
:-( :-(

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 21 Jan 2018 12:40

Don’t think anyone would blame you for being concerned!

If the footprints are clearly defined, could you take a closeup photo of them? It might be worth having a word with your local PCSO or equivalent or even phoning 101?

As for clearing side roads - it’s probably the same where ever you live. The Council can only afford do so much. On the rare occasions we’ve had snow for more than a a couple of days, it takes about a week before a contracted farmer with a plough ventures into our side roads. The weekend is an ideal time to rally fit neighbours & teenagers to help dig you all out.

GlasgowLass

GlasgowLass Report 21 Jan 2018 13:42

On a lighter note.
Did you know that Scotland has named all it's gritters and they can be tracked online?

Names are hilarious.

Here are just a few:

Luke Snow Walker
Gritty Gritty Bang Bang
Sir Andy Flurry
Sir Salter Scott
Snowball
Ready Spready Go
Ice Destroyer
Gritallica
Grittie McVittie
Grittie Gonzalez
Ice Queen
Sparkle
Sprinkles
Frosty
The Snow Solution
Mrs McGritter
The Golden Great Gritter
Salty Tom
The Winter Explorer
Fred

EDIT:
I think I know what the prints were all about.
I'm guessing that a small dog ventured into the garden and the owner came in after it.
There is an odd, wonky trail beside the footprints
Looks exactly like a wee dog being dragged along on it's bum?? LOL

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 21 Jan 2018 16:31

Love it Gl :-D

JoyBoroAngel

JoyBoroAngel Report 21 Jan 2018 21:51

It snowed most of the day then it rained
Bye bye snow I hope :-D :-D :-D