General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Tracing old catalogue accounts re PPi

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Florence61

Florence61 Report 23 Jan 2018 20:22

I have recently requested a company to check for me several accounts including catalogues and store cards to see if I am owed any PPi.

Today the company say that 2 of my accounts, named La redoute and Vertbaudet cannot trace me having any accounts with them.

Unfortunately last year when I was sorting everything out, all statements over 10 yrs I shredded. I had kept them for years and finally decided as I was moving that I would only keep the last 3-4 years worth.
These accounts were active in 2003/4 and opened around 1996 onwrds.

I do not have the account numbers only my personal details.

Does anyone know what I can do or where I can search.

It doesn't say much if they can't locate your details and you know you had an account. Has anyone else had this problem?

Your thoughts would be very welcome
Thanks
Florence
in the hebrides

Rambling

Rambling Report 23 Jan 2018 20:44

Contact LaRedoute directly? ( I used to have La Redoute and verbaudet about 1995-99 but I'm quite sure I didn't have PPI on it)

https://www.laredoute.co.uk/services/complaints.aspx

But for anyone who hasn't read up on it, be aware that once you have taken on a company they will take a hefty chunk of any money you are entitled to.

If at all possible go directly to the company and do it yourself, there are template letters on line and it is really easy.

This is a comparison page for various companies.
https://www.fairerppi.com/comparefees/

Florence61

Florence61 Report 23 Jan 2018 21:18

Thanks Nyx. I have already signed letters of authority to this company and they are investigating others for me. Its just without my statements, I cant prove I had these accounts, although saying that in 2003 I was paying them over the phone by debit card each month. I wonder if the banks keep their records that long as it was 15 years ago?

Florence
in the hebrides

LaGooner

LaGooner Report 23 Jan 2018 21:20

All business has to keep it's financial records for a minimum of 7 years Florence

Florence61

Florence61 Report 23 Jan 2018 22:15

Ive checked with my bank but unfortunately what it says on the statement is all the details they have ie: debit card payment-la Redoute no ref number..

I shall have another thorough search tomorrow through some boxes but I'm sure ive shredded all accounts from that period.

Oh well thanks for your advice peeps

Florence
in the hebrides

Florence61

Florence61 Report 24 Feb 2018 20:33

just to update my PPI position. I received a phone call from the company dealing with my PPI claim and guess what, after asking me a few questions, it turns out I was mis sold PPI as at the time I wasn't working. I was looking after 2 young children. You have to be working to qualify for PPI.

So the good news is, I had 14 different accounts and store cards over the last 30 years and managed to find those missing account numbers. I have been advised I will be due a refund. It may not be thousands but whatever I get will be very welcome.

So if any of you had accounts with PPI, but were not working, you will be due a refund too. I was never asked if I was working when I had these accounts and the insurance was hidden in the "credit charge" each month with the intrest I was paying on some.

Nice to get a bit of good news for change

Florence
in the hebrides

ann

ann Report 24 Feb 2018 22:47

I have just had a little payout but you do have to pay tax out of it and so much to the company that got it for you BUT if like me you would not or could not claim yourself something is better than nothing

AustinQ

AustinQ Report 24 Feb 2018 23:11

I was pretty certain I'd never had PPI on anything, then a friend suggested I fill in an online PPI check with my bank just to be sure. I did it to shut him up!

I was stunned when it came back that several years ago I'd had PPI on a loan. I just phoned them up, answered a few questions, and a few weeks later they refunded straight back into my account. It wasn't a massive amount, but I was glad to get it back.

It was very simple to do and I'd encourage everyone to check.