General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

curious

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

RockyMountainShy

RockyMountainShy Report 30 Jan 2018 08:44

was there a great flu epidemic in exeter in 1894? Out of a family of 6 two died in march, the parents died in june leaving the two oldest children .......... just there.

LaGooner

LaGooner Report 30 Jan 2018 09:12

According to Google there was.Russian flu I think it may have been. The Spanish flue in the early 1900's did for a lot of my Yorkshire families Shy.

Kathryn

Kathryn Report 30 Jan 2018 09:56

Hi la gooner. Have you been cleaning your 'flues' out? :-D

Also lost my great grandparents living in Yorkshire to the flu epidemic in 1900's within a couple of days of each other :-(

LaGooner

LaGooner Report 30 Jan 2018 09:59

:-0 :-0 :-0 :-0 :-0 :-0 Kathryn, too much information. I lost Grandma, her unborn child and also my Aunt aged just 5 and numerous great uncles and aunts all within weeks of each other :-(

Kathryn

Kathryn Report 30 Jan 2018 10:02

Very sad isn't it? <3

Kathryn

Kathryn Report 30 Jan 2018 10:36

Lagooner I was referring to the Spanish FLUE in your post :-D :-D :-D

LaGooner

LaGooner Report 30 Jan 2018 10:57

:-D :-D :-D :-D I'm not Spanish ;-) :-D :-D

Kathryn

Kathryn Report 30 Jan 2018 11:08

:-D :-D

Sharron

Sharron Report 30 Jan 2018 11:13

That was the 'Curse of the Spanish Lady' and it killed more people than did the preceding World War.

Having started my family tree forty odd years ago (before I was born, you understand), I was in time to talk to the 'old 'uns' before they died and my Aunty Pat ,Fred's cousin, nursed her sister-in-law when she had it .

Brave,I would call that.

Kathryn

Kathryn Report 30 Jan 2018 11:20

I'd call that love <3 <3

Sharron

Sharron Report 30 Jan 2018 11:29

The sister -in-law died of it too.

That pandemic was terrible and so was the war but, can you imagine how terrible life on Earth might have been had they not happened?

Kathryn

Kathryn Report 30 Jan 2018 11:42

Makes you think :-\

Kathryn

Kathryn Report 30 Jan 2018 11:45

My grand mother whom I've never met died before I was born, nursed her sister who had TB and they both died :-\

Hard times then we should all count our blessings <3