General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Free View setup

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Ron2

Ron2 Report 4 Feb 2018 21:34

We don’t use Cable TV. I need to buy a new TV but it will come with inbuilt Free View and for some reason I cant get me head around it as to how I set things up in conjunction with a new Freeview HD Receiver/Recorder. Do I set up TV as tho it will work on its own? (so will need to move aerial from recorder to TV). Once I’ve done that linkup the 2 items and aerial back into recorder ? So, the signal is going into recorder which then puts up the channels on TV BUT wont TV Freeview be trying to compete? The recorder will be on full time (as currently) and will supply the daily viewing
I’m 77, in bad pain at times and beginning to think affecting my reasoning as usually I can suss things out so any help appreciated

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 4 Feb 2018 22:26

Any new TV sold in the UK has a built in Freeview receiver. All you have to do is plug the coax into the socket on the edge / back of the TV. It has been thus for over ten years.

There are various options if you want iPlayer etc and make recordings.

Nottsgirl

Nottsgirl Report 5 Feb 2018 07:35

Hi,

Its easy to set up, just plug in your cables as you have on your eixsting TV and recorder and when you switch on the TV it will come up with set up instructions just follow them, once set up you wont need to use the recorder to watch the TV just for recording. There should be instructions in the TV box too.

Wendy

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 5 Feb 2018 14:44

We currently have two recorder machines connected to a TV with built in FreeView.

Recorder One, the older one, is normally used for playback only, mainly the grandkids DVD's. This is connected to the TV via an HDMI cable. No aerial wire needed.

Recorder Two, is also connected to the TV via an HDMI cable. The coax from the aerial goes into this recorder and then a second cable goes from the recorder coax out link to the TV coax in socket.

This recorder is used to record programs off air and to record and or view FreeviewPlay programs, which are not supported by our TV's built in tuner. It will also play DVDs.

There is no need for either recorder to be on unless they are being used as a source, so for normal TV viewing they are off.

Turning on a recorder automatically causes the TV to connect to it, alternatively we can select the one we want using the TV's source / function button, which in turn turns on the recorder connected to that source.

The TV also has a wireless connection with the internet (via our internet router) which allows us to view iplayer, YouTube and the numerous other services which are now delivered on-line.

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 5 Feb 2018 14:49

The TV also has a wireless connection with the internet (via our internet router) which allows us to view iplayer, YouTube and the numerous other services which are now delivered on-line

how do you select that? IPG...

Ron2

Ron2 Report 6 Feb 2018 21:14

Thank you for all the replies - very helpful. Yes, Rollo have been aware for some years that FV built in to current TVs ta

Ron2

Ron2 Report 6 Feb 2018 21:21

Ta InspectorGreenPen and Nottsgirl. - makes sense tho just want to clarify IGP fact that recorder can be "off" - do you mean "on standbye mode" or completely powerless? Looking at getting a JVC with built in DVD player and, surprisingly a scart fitting plus HDMI x 2 etc

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 6 Feb 2018 23:03

The recorder methinks needs to be "live" ie on standby, although ours looks as if it is Off....

Nottsgirl

Nottsgirl Report 7 Feb 2018 07:45

Hi ron2,

Yes just leave recorder on standby as you do when not watching it but must be pluged in to power socket.

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 7 Feb 2018 11:48

Bob, Re wireless.

Ours is a Samsung. First you set up the internet connection - the start up process takes you through it and you need to know your router's ssid and password.

Once set up the remote has a button which allows to access the various options.

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 7 Feb 2018 12:31

Ah! I have a relatively ancient Tosh Regza, don't think that has the facility for wi fi, (although I was gifted a Kodi box which was hardly worth the bother...)

Nottsgirl

Nottsgirl Report 7 Feb 2018 13:55

Hi
from above post by InspectorGreenPen
"The TV also has a wireless connection with the internet (via our internet router) which allows us to view iplayer, YouTube and the numerous other services which are now delivered on-line."

You would need a smart TV to be able to acess the internet channels and not all TV's are smart

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 7 Feb 2018 14:05

Neither are the owners, methinks...
In my case...Me...

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 7 Feb 2018 16:00

Yes, and a ten year old grandson is also useful...........!

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 7 Feb 2018 16:22

Many of the Freeview / BluRay addons also have the apps for NetFlix, YouTube, iPlayer Vivo etc etc and these work fine on a "non Smart" tV via an hdmi port. If there are not enough hdmi ports extenders cost just a few pounds.

Another approach is Sky Now! and the Amazone Firestick which work fine on TVs with no smart features other than an hdmi port. I use Sky Now! for Game of Thrones and such.

Wifi will not deliver satisfactory HD TV using the old 2.8MHz standard the 5Ghz support is needed. All of the major ISPs (Virgin, BT, Sky, TalkTalk) support this but the router may required upgrading. Alternatives are cable ethernet and powerline.

Do people still record to DVD?
There are several options with Freeview HD and record to hard drive.

Ron2

Ron2 Report 9 Feb 2018 20:20

Thanks for latest stuff on here. New Smart TV installed BUT I thought there'd be problems and there woz. The TV was connected to the FV Recorder, put recorder on standbye and tried to run thro installation procedure 2 or 3 times for TV - No way, also tried TV installation with the Recorder on - no way. Put the aerial direct to the TV thus bypassing Recorder and everything went OK. Then put aerial back to recorder and thus both connected up again. Still probs tho TV did actually work one time with recorder on standbye. I'll mess about with it 2nite after "Er Indoors" gone bed. However, I have decided to buy an aerial "Y" joint. Bottom part of the "Y" will take the aerial from roof and the 2 "arms" will provide the input separately to TV and the Recorder and I'll remove the aerial link twixt both items - pretty sure that will work. It is a Smart TV but so far not "WiFie'd it, had enuff after this afternoons farce. Will ask eldest g'son to do that bit. Not much bothered tho with all the bits and pieces as long as Er Indoors can record and playback from the recorder and watch any channel on TV FV. I only watch docu's late at night as no interest in much else so simple needs really

Ron2

Ron2 Report 9 Feb 2018 20:27

Rollo - we dont record to DVDs - never had tho I've put stuff on CDs on PC in the past but these days use memory sticks. My WiFi is via BT hub and quite fast - g'son can decide if it will cope. Ta for info about HDMI extenders - hadn't thought of that tho use similar for memory sticks and other stuff on PC

Ron2

Ron2 Report 10 Feb 2018 20:43

Both TV and Recorder now have their own aerial. Can now watch stuff on TV without Recorder being on Standby. Er Indoors ran a test recording and it came out OK.