General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Back in Time For Tea

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sharron

Sharron Report 14 Feb 2018 19:37

Watched it last night and it was interesting to see the children thinking that some of the things they were making were going to be disgusting and then, after they had tasted them, thinking they were delicious.

One was cow heel pie which looked very basic and old fashioned, nothing like something you would buy but they were willing to give it a try and were delighted by it. Another was some sort of wartime concoction of pilchard and semolina which looked very unimpressive and sounded pretty dire but they loved it.

It was all good food and it is such a shame that modern children don't get to eat proper food like that.A friend's little great-granddaughter thought she was having something wonderful when she tried a cheese scone I had made because she had not had anything plain and home-made.

I hope programmes like BITFT might help to bring the taste of proper food back to British plates.

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 14 Feb 2018 19:45

I agree with that Sharron and would be a wake up call for those that say yuk I’m not eating it including one of my sisters, eat it or go without springs to mind, it would never occur to me as a child not to eat what was put in front of me.

Sharron

Sharron Report 14 Feb 2018 20:01

I was quite impressed by the children in the programme. Some of the food did not appeal to them at all but they gave it a go and were most surprised.

Most of the truly delicious food is very unprepossessing. Dull old dumplings are truly yummy, fruit cake, semolina. Dribble,dribble I go.

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 14 Feb 2018 20:10

My fussy sister was spoilt by our parents because she is the youngest however she had a rude awakening when she had to live with us for a couple of years and we didn’t panda to her tantrums. She really did have to eat it or go without, I really admire the children in the program for efforts.

Sharron

Sharron Report 14 Feb 2018 20:34

They had a go at the dripping on toast and everything.

I was looking for the site for this programme and came across a tea room of the same name in Lutterworth which we might even have to visit at some time. It is a 1940s tea room and they serve dripping on toast and Spam sandwiches. Proper stuff!

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 14 Feb 2018 20:44

I noticed they weren't eating the best bit of the dripping - and said it was tasteless.
It should have been the jelly - with a little salt on it!

Sharron

Sharron Report 14 Feb 2018 20:56

They didn't seem to have any jelly. It must have been provided for them I think.

I used to like bread and dripping.

Caroline

Caroline Report 14 Feb 2018 21:03

Impressed the kids ate it most kids wouldn't even try.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 14 Feb 2018 21:16

They should, at least, have provided the best bit of dripping! :-D

Sharron

Sharron Report 14 Feb 2018 21:54

The ate it and had some lovely surprises.

Kay????

Kay???? Report 14 Feb 2018 21:56

Oh Yuk.

We were never made to eat anything we didnt like.thank goodness,,,Dad made it a policy that even as youngsters we knew if we didnt like it.although we did have to try things.

I liked jelly dripping on toast but my dad wouldnt touch it,neither mum.

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 14 Feb 2018 23:01

The pilchards were blended to make mock roes on toast. I love roes cooked in butter, then spread on toast.

My parents didn't give us a very wide variety of foodstuffs and I suppose I was as guilty when my son was small but we did have a wider choice of tastes especially when we went abroad.

Lizx

Caroline

Caroline Report 15 Feb 2018 00:46

I love sardines on toast my kids won't eat it don't know what they're missing.