General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Finding a Marriage

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Jayne

Jayne Report 17 Feb 2018 13:56

I have typed in the name of the person I want to find a marriage for but it doesn't have marriage option. It just has births deaths and other. Lots of names come up for me to view but it doesn't say whether I will be viewing a birth, death or marriage. It only tells me after I have used my credit. Is there a way I can search for just marriages? At this rate I will have used all my credits lol

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 17 Feb 2018 14:24

Try https://www.freebmd.org.uk/cgi/search.pl assuming England or Wales.
Its free to use.
You'll need to specify a year range starting from Sep 1837. Do it in small junks to limit the number of results.

If you then click on the page number shown, it'll give you the names of the possible spouse.

JemimaFawr

JemimaFawr Report 17 Feb 2018 17:55

Hi Jayne :-)

If you are using the GR site ....

Type in the name and approx date of the marriage by clicking on the arrow over "Event Type" - You will have 3 options - Birth, Death and Other Event.
Click on "Other Event" and put the approximate date of marriage (if known), using the give/take so many years part.
If not you could choose the Birth Date option.

Press "Search Now!

Any Records that are available for Births, Deaths and Marriages will appear.
If you want to narrow down the results further (eg to have just marriage records) go to the section on the left hand side of the page entitled Births, Marriages & Deaths collections.

Click on "Civil Marriage & Divorce", or "Parish Marriages" for Church Records, and the results will be narrowed down to show just these.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 18 Feb 2018 08:53

Jayne

Don't use credits especially as you can probably find the info on free sites like FreeBMD

Or ask for help as members often have subs to other sites and are happy to help

Jayne

Jayne Report 19 Feb 2018 12:03

Thankyou everyone for your help x