General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Yeast

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sharron

Sharron Report 18 Feb 2018 18:13

We are having pizza for tea because I have fired up the bread maker again and we don't need another loaf so I have made a pizza base.

I used to make all our bread in the machine but Fred decided he didn't like it and it gave him another job to buy the bread.(Poor old sod!)

I have just opened a tin of yeast with a sell by date in 2012. It is fine and when it is finished I will open that big tin with a sell by date of 2003.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 18 Feb 2018 18:19

Waste not want not is a true adage

But hated that when mum used the left over greens or cabbage to make bubble and squeak .

Yuk hated it . No thanks !!!

Sharron

Sharron Report 18 Feb 2018 18:24

We cook extra just to make a bit of bubble. Love it.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 18 Feb 2018 18:46

There was an article on programme the other day, that tested out of date products.
I think they were mostly testing tinned food - some over 6 years past their 'sell-by' date, but most were okay.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 18 Feb 2018 19:50

I like to cook extra brussels sprouts and mashed potatoes so we can have bubble and squeak :-D

I found a report a couple of years ago that had tested drugs found in the store room of a pharmacy that had been long closed. Surprisingly (or not!), many were still OK after 5, 10 or even 20 years. They included some that I take or have taken in the past.

Caroline

Caroline Report 18 Feb 2018 21:11

A lot of things are thrown away and wasted when really they're okay, people should use common sense when it comes to food and sell by and use by dates...medicine is a bit more difficult to work out on your own so not worth the risk.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 18 Feb 2018 23:59

I notice that a couple of the prescribed medications that I get have suddenly started having a drug expiry date on the label on the vial.

One is a gel to be applied to the skin, bought last December, Expiry Date March 2018

The other tablets picked up late January, Drug Expiry Date 26 April 2020

Yet another vial of tablets got at the same time in late January does not have a Drug Expiry date ....... so does that mean this one has a longer shelf life??????