General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Not sure if this is the right spot BUT

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Gray

Gray Report 19 Feb 2018 06:06

My computer is saying that the family tree link has a privacy error and that hackers might be trying to steal my information. For that reason I can't build a tree here
NET ERR_CERT_COMMON_NAME_INVALID says attackers might be trying to steal my information ie passwords CC details etc. Not a risk I can take.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 19 Feb 2018 09:57

I think you probably need rollo's comments on this Gray.

Inky1

Inky1 Report 19 Feb 2018 12:15

Typing
NET ERR_CERT_COMMON_NAME_INVALID
into Google gets plenty of hits - especially for Chrome users.

Have you looked at any?

I suspect Rollo would need at tad more info. from you prior to making any suggestions.

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 19 Feb 2018 14:02

Given events over the last couple of years it is hardly surprising that there has been a big pushback designed to beef up security and reduce the scope for sailing under false colors. The Chrome and Firefox browsers have both been quite aggressive in doing this.

The particular error cited relates to the validity of the site's https certificate. The browser thinks that either it has expired or the associated DNS is invalid maybe 'cos of impersonation. If this is the case then the site owner needs to sort things out.

That said it is far from unknown for malware to establish itself in a user machine in which case the same sorts of error will appear especially on sites which are well secured.

I suggest you download Malware Bytes (free) and run it. If the GR site was misconfigured there would be plenty of moaning about it and so far there is not.

https://www.malwarebytes.com

Gray

Gray Report 20 Feb 2018 06:43

Thanks Rollo l think it could be an issue my side then on this particular computer as l have it working on other devices now. Thanks heaps will follow through with your suggestions!

Gray

Gray Report 20 Feb 2018 06:47

Ok its a chrome issue thanks for resolving that for me so appreciated!