General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

James Meiklejohn and Catherine Mustard

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Gordon

Gordon Report 21 Feb 2018 20:01

Any information on these 2 names. Believe born in Scotland around 1630?

Florence61

Florence61 Report 21 Feb 2018 22:01

Hello Gordon
I put his name into google and it came up with a site called www.my heritage. This bought up lots of info. james was born in 1807 and died in 1876. He married Catherine mustard in 1831.

Have a look yourself as there is more info

Florence in the hebrides

Gordon

Gordon Report 22 Feb 2018 00:09

Thank you for your response Florence. The names I am looking for are from around 1630 to 1650. I believe their son John was born around 1660 and married Isabell Bain in 1698.
Gordon Irvine in Ontario Canada

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 22 Feb 2018 05:05

Try Family Search site , Gordon

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 22 Feb 2018 08:51

This may give you some information about where to look (though you may have seen it!)

https://loiswillis.blog/2017/01/21/surname-saturday-bain/

Looks like you'll need to look on a Scottish site.

Gordon

Gordon Report 22 Feb 2018 15:58

Thank you Maggie for this information. I have some of this already but there are a couple of new leads there.

greyghost

greyghost Report 22 Feb 2018 17:13

You don't say where in Scotland.

These 2 possibles from https://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Free to search to get results as below. But credits - 30 for £7.50 and use 6 to view and download

Surname Forename Parents/ Other Details Gender Date Parish Number Ref Parish Image View

MEIKILJON JAMES
JOHNNE MEIKILJON/MARGARET CRAG FR538 (FR538) M 16/10/1614 168/A 20 206 Aberdeen
View image (6 credits)

MEKILJOHNE JAMES
ANDRO MEKILJOHNE/JANET ANDERSONE FR448 (FR448) M 20/09/1625 424/ 20 139 Dunfermline

If you enter just surname on search with 'name variants' there are more results which might reveal siblings

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 22 Feb 2018 17:14

I've found, when you get back that far, you sometimes have to go sideways!! :-D

greyghost

greyghost Report 22 Feb 2018 17:21

You can do the same with the Mustard name - whilst there isn't a Catherine showing up, it doesn't mean there wasn't one.

You may be able to compare the two sets of results to find both surnames in the same area

e.g. there are Mustards in Kirkcaldy and Meiklejohn's in Dunfermline - about 15 miles apart.

Then have a look for marriages - (not seeing Meiklejiohn to Mustard with variants)

Gordon

Gordon Report 22 Feb 2018 18:40

Sorry everyone. I had traced them all back to Thurso, Caithness. Forgot to mention that. Thank you for your help.