General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

To Anyone Who Is

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Tawny

Tawny Report 22 Feb 2018 10:45

Or was involved in Guiding or Scouting

Happy Thinking Day

LaGooner

LaGooner Report 22 Feb 2018 10:54

Same to you Tawny I was a Guider of 2 Brownie units and 1 Rainbow unit (all at the same time) for 17 years until retiring a few years back :-D

Tawny

Tawny Report 22 Feb 2018 11:40

Thank you LaGooner. 1 Brownie unit and 2 Rainbow units 17 years 6 months and counting. Still love it though. :-D :-D

LaGooner

LaGooner Report 22 Feb 2018 12:30

Well done. :-D. I loved it too and still go and play if I'm needed ;-) :-D :-D.

David

David Report 22 Feb 2018 13:24

You'll know the ropes and the knots :-D :-D Long ago I was a cub scout <3

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 22 Feb 2018 15:13

I was in the Cubs, Scouts and Senior Scouts and received the Queens Scout Award in the 1960's.

My wife was in the Brownies, Guides and Rangers based at the same church and we got to know each other through meeting at the monthly Church Parade.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 22 Feb 2018 15:24

Was never a brownie or a guide because my Mum said she couldn't afford the uniform etc (that may have been her excuse for not letting me join but she let me join Red Cross cadets). Somehow though I was aware of thinking day being just after pancake day. I went to a church school so maybe was aware of church parades.

LaGooner

LaGooner Report 22 Feb 2018 15:35

Thinking day is always on the 22nd February Ann it was Baden Powell's birthday

David

David Report 22 Feb 2018 18:47

I was only ever in the Theatre Royal, Newcastle, once and it was to see Ralph Reader's GANG SHOW.

Tawny

Tawny Report 22 Feb 2018 22:22

There is still a gang show in Edinburgh every year and it is always well received.

glenrobbie

glenrobbie Report 23 Feb 2018 21:39

This is a late comment Tawny but I loved guides in South Australia, and my brothers were sea Scouts after coming up from Cubs. Then my three children were guides and scouts also. I still have much affection for the leaders an dmany friends I met duing my involvement. I t is a wonderful organisation. Cheers and All the best, Glenrobbie

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 23 Feb 2018 22:31

I was in the Brownies for a while - but Brown Owl was my teacher from school! :-(

But I must commiserate with my 2 grandsons.
They're cubs.
Their big sister is a Leader in their pack.

She helped out for her Duke of Edinburgh's Award - and they asked her to stay on as a Leader!! :-D

Tawny

Tawny Report 23 Feb 2018 23:37

Thank you Glenrobbie.

That happens a lot Maggiewinchester. Guiding has a lot of families who run units together. Grandmother and mother will run the unit and the granddaughter will be a girl in the unit.

I was in the guide shop one day buying badges for my units and in comes a father and daughter. The daughter is in for guide uniform and the father needs members wear.

He stands at the side of the pitch every Saturday to watch his son play football and doesn't want his daughter feeling left out so he was going to help out at her guides every week.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 23 Feb 2018 23:44

The cubs went on a camp last year, and elder grandson (9) had long hair.
His sister (15) insisted it had to be up, so gave him a 'man-bun' every day :-D :-D

Tawny

Tawny Report 24 Feb 2018 06:52

:-D :-D :-D

RockyMountainShy

RockyMountainShy Report 24 Feb 2018 07:11

Well yea, long hair has to be tied back! especially if your around food or a campfire. every body knows that! :-D

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 24 Feb 2018 21:32

...but she didn't just tie it back - it was a full-on, high up on the head man-bun :-D :-D :-D