General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

1939 register

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Neil

Neil Report 22 Feb 2018 11:36

This site shows the 1939 Register as being a sister site but when I follow the link I have to take out a new subscription - or am I not accessing it correctly?

Is there any way to use it as an add-on to my current subscription? I don't really want to pay another £120 pa! I am currently tracing by lines of my family, so if I only do 1 or 2 a month this becomes an expensive extra resource. Suppose I could do the whole years research then enter all my 1939 queries in one go but thats a lot of hassle.

Help please.

PricklyHolly

PricklyHolly Report 22 Feb 2018 11:51

Hi Neil

You need a seperate subscription to FMP to be able to view the full details of the 1939 Register.

Alternatively, you can post a request on the "Find Ancestors or Find Living Relatives" boards, including the full details of who you are searching for, and members with a subcription will be quite happy to do a look up for you.

Prickles ;o))

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 22 Feb 2018 11:52

Welcome to the boards, Neil.

As far as we’re aware, it’s not possible to add the 1939 on to a GR account.

FMP did change their sub package a while ago. Might the 1939 be available on a monthly basis? Someone else might be able to advise.

Failing that, feel free to post a thread on Find Ancestors. GR. members with access to FMP are usually willing to look on your behalf. It is possible for you to manipulate the site to get the basic details for free if you have an idea of another occupiers name & likely location.

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 22 Feb 2018 11:59

On the Findmypast website is says this:-

1939 Register now available in our monthly Plus and Pro subscriptions

I have no idea what these are as I have an annual subscription.

If you need a look up I am happy to help if you give what details you have.

Kath. x

greyghost

greyghost Report 22 Feb 2018 18:16

Subs normally shown as a monthly payment * but whole year's payment taken at once, so be careful.

Neil

Neil Report 22 Feb 2018 18:40

note for the Genes management team ... please consider negotiating this as an add on in your contract with National Archives please !

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 22 Feb 2018 18:54

FindMyPast has the contract with the NA, not GR. From memory, FMP has exclusive rights for 10 years. There’s still several years to run!

Joy

Joy Report 22 Feb 2018 19:22

Very true, +++DetEcTive+++ - and I believe that all records on GR are from FMP? Correct me if I am wrong, please.

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/help-with-your-research/research-guides/1939-register/

https://www.findmypast.co.uk/1939register?ds_kid=43700028827599257&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIs9SegJ-62QIVyrvtCh1UUAt_EAAYASAAEgI9AfD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds&dclid=CMiW3qSfutkCFSqK7QodtpoIeg

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 22 Feb 2018 19:44

GR and FMP are the sister sites ............... and yes, Joy is correct, most of GR's records are in fact held by FMP. Access by GR to those records has long been the case.

Many other records on GR are actaulyl available for free on other sites, eg BMDs from 1837 to about 1988 are best accessed on the FreeBMD site

https://www.freebmd.org.uk/cgi/search.pl

or from one of the county bmd sites, eg lancsbmd, torksbmd

But NOT the 1939 Register. FMP paid one heck of a lot of money for the right to transcribe the Register and have the sole right to provide access to the public. Naturally, they want to get their money back!

Neil .......... there are many of us who have subs to FMP and any one of us will be glad to help you if you post on either the Genealogy Chat or Find Ancestors board.

ann

ann Report 22 Feb 2018 22:06

Every so often I do a monthly sub with fmp and get the 1939 and electorial rolls and everything else. Think it costs £15 for the month