General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

marriage details England

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Ron

Ron Report 1 Mar 2018 15:11

Do a lot of these 'slip through the net' as i cannot find one in particular... not much to go on though, only male name, rough date in range (1965-85),location poss south england and wife first name.

Caroline

Caroline Report 1 Mar 2018 15:13

Assuming the only known name isn't something like Smith you can find them with a little extra work often...widen your time and area when searching and tick the box for name variants.

Ron

Ron Report 1 Mar 2018 15:18

Caroline
That i have tried ;-(
I just used search 'England',the name is quite distinct, and should not have been mis-spelt these days (unlike the 19th century!)

Rambling

Rambling Report 1 Mar 2018 15:23

Depends where you're looking? if on freebmd not all areas are up to date, there may be a mistranscription ( or a mis-spelling) . If you want me to look pm me with details by clicking on my name :-)

PatinCyprus

PatinCyprus Report 1 Mar 2018 15:25

Are you sure of the first names, are they their correct names?

e.g my parents were known as Molly and Bill. No prizes for guessing my father's name was William but my mother never used her name except for official documents. My mother was named Marion after her mother, but always known as Molly so not to be confused with her mother.

I have a friend who is known by her in laws as Ann because they say she looks like an Ann and not her given name????? I also had 2 aunts who never used their first names and they were Winifred May known as May and Florence Evelyn known as Eve.

You have to be a detective sometimes. :-D

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 1 Mar 2018 17:55

are you sure that they did marry in England?

Or indeed, that they married at all!

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 1 Mar 2018 18:03

I've seen a copy of a New Zealand marriage certificate, where a man named his mother as Dorothy. She was known as Dolly, but he obviously thought he should be correct and put her 'proper' name.
Her name in fact was Sarah Jane.

Could the couple have married abroad perhaps?

or
Did the man have a surname which could be split eg. BROOM FIELD.?

It took me ages to find a marriage for someone, who had been indexed by just half of his surname.

Rambling

Rambling Report 1 Mar 2018 19:10

Ron has messaged me with the name and as there's a previous thread I've checked through the names posted on there for possible marriages, none of which seem to tally.

https://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/living_relatives/thread/1367537