General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Gedcom file in archives.com - tree problem

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

AS_1980

AS_1980 Report 4 Mar 2018 12:32

Hi

I exported my tree from genes reunited and imported it into archives.com, but the newly created tree shows limited results.

Has anyone had the same experience and is there anything I can do (e.g tweaking something when I export from genes reunited or doing something with the gedcom file?)

Thanks
Andrew

Rambling

Rambling Report 4 Mar 2018 13:25

Don't use it but when you say "limited results" what exactly do you mean? matches with other trees? or that info on your GR tree hasn't gone over properly?

AS_1980

AS_1980 Report 4 Mar 2018 18:43

Thanks. I mean that it's not importing the full tree in archives.com after Ive exported it from G.R. I've asked for help from archives.com so I'll see what they come back with - just wasn't sure whether I'd missed something when exporting from GR - my family tree is quite sprawling and goes back to the 1700s, and whilst all the names appear to be included in list form, they don't all show up when imported into another system.

Cheers for the reply

Kense

Kense Report 5 Mar 2018 08:49

The main problem with GEDCOM files is that different companies do not always implement the full standard or they add extra features of their own so there are often discrepancies such are you are experiencing, particularly with date formats.

There have been many threads on the topic such as this one
https://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/genealogy_chat/thread/724270
Currently the last post in that thread lists other threads about GEDCOMS.