General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Enlightened

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sharron

Sharron Report 6 Mar 2018 14:16

One of the Welsh district councils is going to provide school girls with free menstrual products. Not before time,I say.

Dermot

Dermot Report 6 Mar 2018 15:09

Gosh! That's powerful political progress.

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 6 Mar 2018 15:18

Reminds me of my school days.

If you were caught out you had to take a threepenny bit and go to the central corridor and ring the bell.
The only person ever to answer was a very deaf Nun who made you shout out what you rang for. She never seemed to understand why you were thrusting that coin at her. Very awkward for the younger girls.

Mind you, you soon learnt not to get caught out ;-)

Sharron

Sharron Report 6 Mar 2018 15:27

I was surprised to hear that, just like in third world countries, there are girls in UK who need to stay at home when they are menstruating because they are unable to afford protection.

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 6 Mar 2018 15:54

It's not just schoolgirls that need help:

http://www.test.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-england-hampshire-43148080/period-poverty-helping-homeless-and-vulnerable-women

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 6 Mar 2018 16:50

Although it’s understandable if rough sleepers need help to access them, surely it’s the responsibility of the girls parents? Asda own brand cost 59p-66p per pack of 10. There’s probably cheaper alternatives elsewhere..

So say £1.20-£1.30 per 28 day cycle. If they’re budgeting correctly, it shouldn’t put them into debt!

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 6 Mar 2018 17:52

Not everyone can get to an Asda!
Someone on a low income/benefit, with 2 or three girls - it can get expensive!

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 6 Mar 2018 18:45

Other supermarkets are available ;-)

Phyll

Phyll Report 6 Mar 2018 18:53

my daughter still needs protection as will her twins very soon. not going to be easy to fund all three.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 6 Mar 2018 18:55

True Det - and not all pads fit everyone :-(

Sharron

Sharron Report 6 Mar 2018 19:00

Boys are cheaper!

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 6 Mar 2018 19:24

Just wait. Some council or other will be dishing out razors soon.

Where does parental responsibility end? Their children + associated Benefits. Why should the council tax payer pay out more?

I’m quite happy contributing to a Food Bank, but a regular supply of ST is a step too far.

Sharron

Sharron Report 6 Mar 2018 19:45

I have been in a position where, through no fault of my own,I have been unable to afford enough and had to improvise so I do think it is money well spent on essentials.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 6 Mar 2018 19:55

Yes, but would it just be one off or end up as
“We don’t need to budget for them. ‘They’ will give them to us for free”

There are some sections of society who thinks everything will be handed to them on, admittedly a shrinking, plate.

Sharron

Sharron Report 6 Mar 2018 20:09

It is one of those things where there is a big knock on effect from not being able to supply yourself and it is adolescent girls who are being catered for. They do need to have as much reassurance as possible that they will not embarrass themselves or be embarrassed by the ineptitude or selfishness of somebody else.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 6 Mar 2018 20:16

Perhaps, instead of spending the 'tampon tax' on anti-abortion schemes(bit of a major cock-up to my mind),they should spend the money on providing free sanitary wear, at least in schools and hospitals.

Sharron

Sharron Report 6 Mar 2018 20:18

This may be wrong but my mother told me that Lord Roote supplied all the women in the armed forces with sanitary protection in the war.