General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

How do I find the cemetary?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Bonnie

Bonnie Report 13 Mar 2018 11:35

I've just learned my grandmother was not buried in the Parish church graveyard, but cremated & interred somewhere else. How do I find where? Thank you, anyone!

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 13 Mar 2018 12:19

The chances are she’s buried in a Municipal Cemetery closest to her home address.
You could look on https://www.deceasedonline.com to see if there’s an entry, otherwise you’d need to contact the council Parks & Cemetery department. They may make a charge.

Is there a chance that she could be buried in a family plot, either her parents or husband’s if he predeceased her?

Inky1

Inky1 Report 13 Mar 2018 16:02

If cremated, are you sure that she was interred? By which I presume you to mean that her ashes were placed in a small casket and buried.

Consider other possibilities.
It could be that her ashes were spread in a Garden of Remembrance? Or in a woodland glade? Or (as in the case of my father) spread on the Thames.

If the ashes were handed over to her executor or family, then there will be no official record.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 13 Mar 2018 16:24

That’s a good point Inky1.

One entry on deceasedonline gives a date of death, date of cremation & a date of burial. However, the burial was in the local churchyard which Bonnie, in her search, has ruled out.

There’s also another record where the remains were collected by a relative. Goodness knows where they ended up.

Within the last 12 months, reports in an online local newspaper have said that caskets of ashes have been left on the Chancel steps in a church, and another found buried on a beach.

Track down the entry in the cremation register to see who organised the cremation. The crematorium might be able to give further advice.

Bonnie

Bonnie Report 13 Mar 2018 16:32

Thank you all. I thought maybe there was a Register of Burials/internment like the BMD records. ?

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 13 Mar 2018 17:22

No. All records would be held locally (or at an archive) to the event.
Although some are on line, most are not.

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 14 Mar 2018 07:10

Bonnie,

Do you know that the churchyard does not have a Garden of Remembrance, where ashes are buried?
Many old churchyards are closed for full burials, but will accept cremated remains.

It would be worth checking the records of the crematorium.

I know of at least one, where they keep a note of where ashes are interred. I don't know if this is routinely recorded or only if the information is volunteered.
This was not always done at this crematorium, but in 2013 I was able to log information about my brother, who had died many years before.