General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Searching for any family members

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Melinda

Melinda Report 27 Mar 2018 15:18

I am searching for any family members that I may have in Scotland. My name is Melinda Mitchell I was born and raised in Ontario, Canada. My biological father was born and raised in Scotland but he immigrated to Ontario,Canada when he was about 15 yrs of age. I know that he has 2 brothers ones name is Ian and I know one of the brothers is deceased. My grandfather Mitchell is also deceased. My grandmother Mitchell I believe is still alive. And this is the last thing I know all of my Mitchell family lives in Scotland. I know nothing about any of my reletives and I have never met any of my family on the Mitchell side and I would love to know my family and more about my background and where I come from. If anyone could lead me in the right direction that would be greatly appreciated. Ty and god bless?

Caroline

Caroline Report 27 Mar 2018 15:23

Full names and Dates of Birth if known or a rough guess, as well as an area in Scotland would help if you know it.

Rambling

Rambling Report 27 Mar 2018 15:36

For Scottish BMDs you will need https://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/

Post some details and someone will take a look to see if they can find something to start you off.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 27 Mar 2018 16:28

was he a BHC ?

Melinda

Melinda Report 16 May 2018 03:35

Sorry idk what part of Scotland my father was raised in. His date of birth is Sept 10 1956.and he immigrated to Ontario when he was about 15 yrs old. He has 2 brothers idk there ages. Idk anything else really. If anyone can get any information from that it would be greatly appreciated. If not I want to ty for trying

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 16 May 2018 09:22

Are you expecting to find immediate family in Scotland or Canada? If he emigrated c1971, did he travel with his family?
Unfortunately online travel records stop about 1960.

Presumably you aren’t giving his name to protect his privacy. As you know his full dob, do you have a copy of his birth certificate? If not, you find the registration reference & order a copy from Scotlandspeople from the link given earlier.

With details of his parents, you can then find & order a copy of their MC.

Both certificates will give their addresses at the time. You might be able to find historical ER or Scottish equivalent to see if other people with the same surname are living there.

ElizabethK

ElizabethK Report 16 May 2018 09:25

https://www.genesreunited.co.za/boards/board/living_relatives/thread/1371646