General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Did you have a real pram?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Madge

Madge Report 14 Apr 2018 20:55

You know a proper one with big wheels and you could fit in a bag of coal bungle of washing even a baby and toddler all at once.

Was it new? Do you keep it for the next baby?

I had a big pram for my 1st , my sister gave it to me then had it back and then passed it on again for my second, both had brand new push chairs, for my suprise 3rd I got a new pram old faithful's wheel had fell off and complete pram went to pram heaven :-(

LaGooner

LaGooner Report 14 Apr 2018 21:00

I had a Royal (brand) not blue blooded :-) for the first two given to me by my sister. Then I remarried and had 2 more kids and had a silver cross for them. I used to love pushing them along they are much better than the soft body prams one of which we had to use when we went out in the car.

JoyBoroAngel

JoyBoroAngel Report 14 Apr 2018 21:10

I had a Silver cross pram
But not the coach build one

Eldrick

Eldrick Report 14 Apr 2018 21:13

We had to share a burnt out shopping trolley with next door. And that was handed down.

Our mam would have killed for a pram to put the coal in.

Sharron

Sharron Report 14 Apr 2018 21:32

We dreamt of being able to afford coal.

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 14 Apr 2018 21:34

1st child was born when we lived in a first floor flat, so we had a lighter weight pram, which could be bumped up and down the flight of steps.OH bought it off the couple in the next door flat.
I used to leave son in a playpen upstairs, take the pram down, then go back up and carry him down to go shopping. It was a fair sized pram, with shopping tray underneath, as I used to walk everywhere.
He had a brand new pushchair with hood and waterproof fabric raincover. I think it cost £16...those were the days.!
Baby number 2 had a more traditional Marmet pram. That too had a shopping tray and I loved pushing her while she could stretch out comfortably under the fringed canopy.
She inherited her brother's pushchair.
...............................6 years gap, then baby 3 had a German pram of similar size to her sister's one, but this later one had 'windows'.We bought it off a friend. You could remove panels on the sides, so that baby could see out. It also had a lift-up flap at the front under the hood and daughter loved to travel peering out of this front window resting on her tummy and arms. It was ideal for meeting the older ones at the school gate, because everyone could see her and she could see them.
She had a new easy fold compact pushchair, suitable for going on buses, because we had to take baby out, juggle shopping and fold the pushchair and take care of older 2 children, at that time.

Eldrick

Eldrick Report 14 Apr 2018 21:35

We had to dig it ourselves though. And we didn't even live in Yorkshire.

Madge

Madge Report 14 Apr 2018 21:38

As soon as I find out I am going to be a Granny I am going to order me a coach bulit slivercross they are £1,600.00 its for no one me to use :-D

Eldrick was prams invented when you were babies, what do you call babies bears? :-D

Sharron

Sharron Report 14 Apr 2018 21:48

When my uncle moved into the newly built farm cottage down the road in 1948, it had been designed with a particularly large hallway to accommodate a pram.

JoyBoroAngel

JoyBoroAngel Report 14 Apr 2018 21:49

Quoy Who used to be on this site
Collected Coach built silver cross Prams
She had quite a large collection

PatinCyprus

PatinCyprus Report 14 Apr 2018 22:00

I was overseas so no large pram for me and anyway those prams were far too big for me to cope with. :-D

Madge

Madge Report 14 Apr 2018 22:01

I want a new one Joy :-|

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 14 Apr 2018 22:31

For. First baby I had the very high one with large wheels, lovely to push but when she was too old for it we sold it as it was too big to store, son took six years to arrive and he still had a proper prom but smaller than the first. As we now had a car he also had a carricot that went on a set of wheels

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 14 Apr 2018 22:53

I had a second hand Silver Cross for my children - but it was usually just used for putting them in the garden.
Occasionally, I'd walk the eldest down the road - but as it was a narrow country lane, if a car came by - one of us would have to back up!! :-D
When the second daughter arrived, it was just impractical.
Elder daughter was 2 1/2 when her sister arrived.
I bought a silver cross pushchair, and usually went for a walk with elder daughter in that, and younger daughter in a sling.

JoyBoroAngel

JoyBoroAngel Report 14 Apr 2018 22:55

The Sons wife wanted a big silver cross pram Marge
Till we asked her if she intended to walk everywhere
as it wouldn't fit in her car

So she bought a travel system in the end
All we need now is the baby to fill it :-D

Kay????

Kay???? Report 14 Apr 2018 23:00

I had a navy Marmet new with white rubber & chrome wheels and every few days would spend ages scrubbing them clean and giving it a good brush and clean......it bounced lovely and the body could come off but never did as walked everywhere......and always white covers.........

My daughters bought a (new Silver Cross a few years ago its packed away in the loft it was abt £800.......
I've seen lots of young mums trending out with the new SC styles they look proper prams ,safe and warm.......and a sack of coal plus a bundle of washing would fit very nice on it............

;-) :-D :-D

GlasgowLass

GlasgowLass Report 14 Apr 2018 23:11

My sil had her 6th child just before I had my first.
She liked to buy a new pram for each baby and gave me her previous one.
It had never been any further than her own garden.

It was a coach built silver cross.
Bright red and I loved it. I used it most of the time.
Served all 3 of mine and I passed it to a neighbour for hers and when she was done with it, it was passed ion to another new mum.
It may still be getting used today

Amokavid

Amokavid Report 15 Apr 2018 00:42

I had a Silver Cross / Wilson coach built pram, bought for our 1st baby in 1969, it was a silver shadow, Silver paintwork & navy interior & the 2 big wheels, absolutely BEAUTIFUL.
It was used for a lot of years by all of our own 5 babies (1969--1986) & several other babies that were being adopted that we cared for before they moved on to their new parents.

I stored the pram for quite some time in our bedroom, then one summer when our children were a bit fed up during school holidays!! we gave the pram to them, the wheels were turned into a go-kart & the body became a rocker toy.
Our children had lots of fun with what it was turned into.

Joan.

Phyll

Phyll Report 15 Apr 2018 11:20

I had a big pram for my 1st baby. It was given to me by a friend of my Mums. It had 2 large wheels & two smaller ones & was coach built. You could take the middle section out for shopping, pop the lid back on & in goes baby. I was grateful for it but I did so want to choose my own pram. So 4 years later when 2nd baby came along I chose a Mothercare pram in White & Maroon. Much smaller & easier to get into the house. We gave the big pram to the boy scouts to use for their collecting.
Phyll