General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Which site for me

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Phyll

Phyll Report 15 Apr 2018 11:13

I am on Ancestry & GR but I have been offered a gift of a subscription to either FMP or My Heritage. Which one would you think I should go for. Who has the better information?

Many thanks for any replies.
Phyll

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 15 Apr 2018 11:16

FMP because they have the 1939 Register.

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 15 Apr 2018 11:18

I've never used My Heritage, so can't comment on that but I use Findmypast and have found it really useful - and I don't think I have used a fraction of the records that they have available.

Ancestry and Findmypast both usually offer 14 day free trials so it might be worth taking them up on that to see what you feel about them.

Kath. x

Rambling

Rambling Report 15 Apr 2018 11:25

I am using FMP. As well as the 1939 register they have a lot of smaller record sets, parish records and recently added records for particular areas, military records etc. Worth going through the A -Z on FMP to see exactly what there is.

Island

Island Report 15 Apr 2018 11:27

Ditto DetEctive, 1939. FMP also has electoral rolls and has recently started to add 1920s ER.

LondonBelle

LondonBelle Report 15 Apr 2018 11:31

Also FMP has British Newspapers :-)

LondonBelle

LondonBelle Report 15 Apr 2018 11:49

I too have never used My Heritage but subscribe to both Ancestry & FMP. I have often found that when I can't find Ancestors on a Census in Ancestry, I can on FMP or vice versa; they must have each transcribed them separately. Also, the images can be of a better quality.

I've also found it depends on what counties you are interested in; my Ancestors come from the Midlands, Ancestry is good for Derbyshire but FMP is good for Leicestershire & Staffordshire :-)

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 15 Apr 2018 18:00

You have to have the World subscription on FMP to be able to access the 1939 Register.

I have had ancestry since about 2003, ang OH has given me the FMP sub for the last 2 years. I use both all the time now.

I've used My Heritage

Island

Island Report 15 Apr 2018 18:17

FMP Britain sub gives access to 1939 register Sylvia, no need to upgrade to World for those records.

Phyll

Phyll Report 15 Apr 2018 18:49

Thank you all for your very good advice. I think it will be FMP for me.
Phyll

Rambling

Rambling Report 15 Apr 2018 19:07

If like me you are already on the 12 month British subscription you will continue to get the same records when you renew, but for new customers the following packages will apply. Check that you get the right one for you ( eg one has newspapers, the other doesn't. )

https://www.findmypast.co.uk/starter-plus-pro-package

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 15 Apr 2018 19:33

Island ........... is that so??

Because I have seen people complaining that they have not got access to the 1939 Register?

EDIT ............ just checked Nyx's link. There are now 3 subscription packages, and 2 of them contain the Register, but only one has the Newspapers and access to overseas records.

I suppose it makes it easier to understand!

Island

Island Report 15 Apr 2018 20:57

Sylvia, I wouldn't say it was so if I hadn't been getting the 1939 reg. with my British sub

Have the people you see complaining only taken out a sub. since the new memberships levels and gone for what I assume is the lowest cost one?

I must admit I was unaware of the new membership set ups until followed the link above but, as ever, what you get for each sub is clearly laid out - not so the subs though.

Rambling

Rambling Report 15 Apr 2018 21:08

Re the 1939 think it is only quite recently ( beginning of the year?) that monthly subscribers have had inclusive access. previously only available to annual subscribers?

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 15 Apr 2018 21:56

Island and Nyx ..............

I've come across questions on here and on other sites where I also help for about the last 18 months from people saying they were not aware that they could not access the 1939 Register, but there have been more of them in the last 6 months.

Rambling

Rambling Report 15 Apr 2018 22:13

Seems to have been February when FMP gave access in two of their monthly subs, but which two I don't know :-)

JoyBoroAngel

JoyBoroAngel Report 15 Apr 2018 22:14

My personal choice is FMP :-D