General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Advice re upside-down avatar picture

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

SuffolkVera

SuffolkVera Report 16 Apr 2018 12:31

I have been trying to change the picture which is my avatar. I have done this many times in the past with no problems, but I have had several unsuccessful goes today or, rather, unsuccessful with the picture I want to use :-S

I click on Change Photo, then Browse to get the photo I want, then Upload and Save. Works fine with everything except one picture (the one I want to use of course). Everytime I go through the procedure it puts that picture in upside down :-|

I am using our main pc, not my iPad. If I open the picture on my screen it is the right way up, the little thumbnail picture in the file is the right way up, but put it on Genes and it is upside down. What am I doing wrong?

Help !!!

Island

Island Report 16 Apr 2018 12:36

Puzzling!

Have you tried uploading it upside down to see if you can fool GR?

SuffolkVera

SuffolkVera Report 16 Apr 2018 13:02

I did think of trying that Island but was so fed up by then that I decided it was par for the course with Genes. Nothing seems to work properly nowadays. I might try rotating the photo and uploading it the wrong way up later.

Sue In Yorkshire.

Sue In Yorkshire. Report 16 Apr 2018 15:27

You need to turn it the right way up in your photo's first then upload it to GR.

SuffolkVera

SuffolkVera Report 16 Apr 2018 16:13

Sue, that’s the problem. It IS the right way up in my photos. It’s only as a Genes avatar that it is upside down.

Sue In Yorkshire.

Sue In Yorkshire. Report 16 Apr 2018 19:28

Do you think if you turn it upside down in your photo's it may come out the proper way on GR.

Island

Island Report 16 Apr 2018 19:41

That's what I suggested Sue

SuffolkVera

SuffolkVera Report 16 Apr 2018 22:28

Will try that and let you know what happens

Sue In Yorkshire.

Sue In Yorkshire. Report 17 Apr 2018 09:44

This is intriguing...can't wait for the answer.... :-D

Island

Island Report 17 Apr 2018 10:10

me too :-D

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 17 Apr 2018 10:28

This problem is common and NOT the fault of GR.
The problem is that the exif values in the tag data are wrong. Using an image editor load the offending image and explicitly change the orientation.
GR is just picking up on and obeing the exif info in your image.
The usual source of this problem are scanners and mobile phones. The local OS eg Windows is able to override the exif data.

free image editors: irfanview, xnview etc.

https://www.techsupportalert.com/content/why-are-your-photos-upside-down.htm

Sue In Yorkshire.

Sue In Yorkshire. Report 17 Apr 2018 10:47

Hope Rollo's advice helps you Vera. :-D

SuffolkVera

SuffolkVera Report 17 Apr 2018 11:04

Thank you Rollo. Will try that, though not now as I am just off to a 70th birthday "do". There's nothing special about the photo I was trying to upload so it doesn't matter if I never use it. I was just intrigued why it kept coming out upside down.

The picture I was trying to use was taken on a iPad, then emailed to my pc and saved in a specific picture file, but so was my existing avatar and that works fine.

Anyway, thanks for the advice. I will try it at some point.