General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

9 dead in Toronto

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Caroline

Caroline Report 23 Apr 2018 22:11

Full details not known yet but van mounted pavement.

Allan

Allan Report 23 Apr 2018 22:38

Terrible!

One report that I read said that it may have been deliberate.

Whatever the reason, more lives tragically lost.

RIP

Caroline

Caroline Report 23 Apr 2018 22:41

No information yet Allan, but silence means there's a chance it is.

Looking at videos it looked like he wanted death by cop...he kept drawing what looked like a gun but it wasn't. He's lucky the cop didn't shot him.

Allan

Allan Report 23 Apr 2018 22:46

probably the usual journalistic 'view', Caroline.

I'm not sure where the article I read originated from, but it still doesn't lessen the loss :-(

Caroline

Caroline Report 23 Apr 2018 22:47

It's clearly not an accident, just need to work out why now.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 24 Apr 2018 00:58

seems to have definitely been a deliberate attack :-(

Caroline

Caroline Report 24 Apr 2018 01:23

Ten dead now. The driver named as 25 yr old Alek Minassain.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 24 Apr 2018 07:14

RIP.
My thoughts go to the victims families.

Dermot

Dermot Report 24 Apr 2018 07:28

Breathtakingly awful!

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 24 Apr 2018 07:41

Such a terrible event, especially as it seems to have been a deliberate act.

Caroline

Caroline Report 24 Apr 2018 11:41

Seems it's down to Mental illness.

Allan

Allan Report 24 Apr 2018 21:58

Strange isn't it that the last few 'incidents' of people being killed/murdered by vehicles in various countries, the drivers have all suffered from 'mental illnesses'

Is this a new spin on avoiding the use of words such as terrorism so as not to inflame local tensions?

I really can't recall any previous such happenings unless the driver has actually suffered a heart attack or other medical episode.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 25 Apr 2018 00:40

Allan ............

I think it's possibly more a case of people with mental illness seeing images of vehicles being used (or even guns as we have a case of that currently going on), and then thinking it is the solution to their problems.

There was a shooting in Quebec City last year where the gunman went into a mosque and used his gun to kill 6 and injure about 19. He's just gone on trial, and it really looks as though he was mentally ill, possibly schizophrenic.

Allan

Allan Report 25 Apr 2018 01:26

That could well be the case, Sylvia, in which case the press may have to reconsider the manner in which it presents the images and reports, although I suppose that with social media these days, everyone is an instant news reporter.

Very sad if it leads to this :-(

Caroline

Caroline Report 25 Apr 2018 11:57

There's not a lot of information out yet so really too early to say. It certainly seems he was an awkward young man, but that's not unique so what made him go over the edge....time will tell no doubt.

Caroline

Caroline Report 25 Apr 2018 12:42

Just reading news reports.....now I'm thinking slightly differently. Everyone wants to use the word terrorist and it's usually made into a race thing...BUT....I think it can be applied here in it's broadest form not as a race thing....

"Terrorism is, in the broadest sense, the use of intentionally indiscriminate violence as a means to create terror among masses of people; or fear to achieve a financial, political, religious or ideological aim.[1] It is used in this regard primarily to refer to violence against peacetime targets or in war against non-combatants."