General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Telling the Time the Old-fashioned Way

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 5 May 2018 14:53

Those of you with young children/grandchildren - can they tell the time on a clock with a dial?

The Scottish Government recently announced that they were going to remove clocks from primary school classrooms, because the children could no longer tell the time.

I think they should leave the clocks and spend a few minutes each day teaching the kids how to read them. After all, clocks in public places, like church towers and town halls, are unlikely to go digital!!

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 5 May 2018 15:12

I agree!
Any piece of knowledge is worth knowing!
I still wear a watch with a 'face' :-D

Dermot

Dermot Report 5 May 2018 16:20

Dreadful parenting.

No home education on life's rudimentary bits & pieces. Pathetic! :-0

Sharron

Sharron Report 5 May 2018 17:08

Could they also, perhaps, teach that there is no 12 a:m or 12 p:m?

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 5 May 2018 17:27

I still wear an "old fashioned" watch with a dial, although my bedside clock is digital.

I think children should be taught how to tell the time on both and I agree with Sharron that 12 noon and 12 midnight should be taught, but then I think some of the teachers are so young they probably can't tell the time themselves without a mobile phone!

Kath. x

Dermot

Dermot Report 5 May 2018 17:34

'Education is not just filling empty brains - it's about lighting fires of interest in the empty brains'.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 5 May 2018 22:06

I think I read that they are taught aged about five then, when not repeated they just forget.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 5 May 2018 22:40

Many secondary school aged children don't wear a watch. They use their mobile phones to tell the time.

Those that do have a watch tend to have an analogue version - probably a gift from an older relative!!

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 6 May 2018 05:52

I think kids should be taught both ways, it's a shame that they lose the ability to tell the time from a clock with hands.

Lizx

Dermot

Dermot Report 6 May 2018 06:52

A clock never wastes any time & is the overseer of all things.

Tic; Toc.

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 6 May 2018 12:10

I agree with all your comments.

My teenage grandchildren both have watches with dials and both can tell the time. However, they don't wear them to school, as both think they are safer left at home!

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 6 May 2018 12:55

I find it strange, the number of people who rely on their phones for the time, and the number of people who do, then ask ME for the time ! :-S

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 6 May 2018 20:04

well, they wouldn't be able to pass one of the tests used here to see if someone is suffering from dementia

draw a clock face with the hands set at a time (eg 10:15) ...............

inability to draw that is considered a determining feature of the progression of Alzheimers.