General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

well that shocked me

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

martynsue

martynsue Report 6 May 2018 19:47

my 2yr old granddaughter was feeling out of sorts , we just couldn't work out what was wrong.
she then got diagnosed with scarlet fever she was very ill but is now over it talk about a shock.
I thought this was a illness that had been left in the past as I had not heard of it since I was a child.

sue

martynsue

martynsue Report 6 May 2018 19:58

they said it is infectious for 7 days before they start to feel unwell but once on antibiotics they are not infectious after 24hours but are still quite ill with it.

Sue In Yorkshire.

Sue In Yorkshire. Report 6 May 2018 21:57

Hope your grand daughter is on the mend and getting stronger by the day.

I had scarlett fever when I was about 4 and was confined to the attic as I screamed blue murder when they tried to get me in the ambulance,

I was told by the doctor months later that I nearly died from it.

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 6 May 2018 22:01

Sue,
I hope the little one soon feels a lot better. I can well imagine how it must have shaken you.

Scarlet fever is around recently in this area too. Like you, I hadn't heard of it for years.

I can still remember being a 5 years old watching from the bedroom window as my 3 years old sister was carried into the back of an ambulance and taken to the nearest isolation hospital.
After a while, as she was so young and missing being at home, the nurses asked mum if she had a favourite soft toy at home. Mum took in a velveteen dog, which my aunt had made. She knew that all the books, jigsaws and cards that my sister had would be destroyed, but thought that she really needed the comfort right then of her special toy.
Eventually my sister recovered and the nurses kindly 'cooked' the dog at a very high temperature, so much so that it was scorched, but my sister was allowed to bring it home.
I never caught scarlet fever even though we had shared a bedroom.

Elizabeth2469049

Elizabeth2469049 Report 6 May 2018 22:10

Had it when I was about 7 I think, doctor thought it was just scarlatina, by the time it was diagnosed as scarlet fever I was not able to go to the isolation hospital so I was quarantined at home, and once I was better they had to send in a team of disinfectants etc. It still had the menace of Beth in Little Women! (1940s)

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 6 May 2018 22:29

Apparently, the number of cases this year is double that of last year :-(

martynsue

martynsue Report 7 May 2018 11:58

thank's for your stories she is on the mend with no complications which could have been pneumonia also meningitis.
so glad they vaccinate babies and young children against meningitis these days.

sue

ann

ann Report 7 May 2018 22:52

My granddaughter had it at the end of March. We were at a pantomime when she was suddenly sick. Got her home and the rash appeared the next morning. On a antibiotic for 10 days

martynsue

martynsue Report 8 May 2018 17:14

quite frightening isn't it ann

Annx

Annx Report 8 May 2018 19:00

Like you Joan I had it as a child aged 4 or 5 I think. I was taken to an isolation hospital and remember we were carried to the toilet by the nurses and not allowed out of bed at first. I couldn't eat I was so upset with a lump in my throat all the time and they were worried about me. I was also frightened that someone may have died in my bed and remember trying to lie on the edges! I was scared I would never go home again! No visitors were allowed inside and I remember my parents waving through the window as well. I had a doll too and dolly as well as all my clothes were fumigated before I went home.

Elizabethofseasons

Elizabethofseasons Report 9 May 2018 20:46

Dear Martynsue

Hello

Hope your grand-daughter is feeling much better now.

Very best wishes to you and your family,

Take gentle care
Love Elizabeth, EOS