General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Brightlingsea

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 21 May 2018 16:07

Can anyone tell me if Brightlingsea is a nice place to spend a coupke of weeks in June, I am having problems finding a suitable holiday cottage in Frinton. We j6st need nice scenery and easy walks, places to eat dinner, and places to visit.

I know the late Beth Chatto's garden is nearby and Colchester too and there is a carnival on the day before we leave which would be fun.

Lizx

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 21 May 2018 16:38

It looks a nice quiet area but maybe too quiet

Could be a base to travel out from to local areas of interest

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 21 May 2018 16:48

Brightlingsea is a wonderful place and unlike Southwold Yr wallet will be safe. Avoid nearby Clacton though.
:-D

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 21 May 2018 21:42

I went to Hemsby today and got talking to a lady from Leigh on Sea. She said Brightlingsea is lovely, sort of old fashioned. We don't need night life, just somewhere nice to eat out and a stroll back to the house. A wander round with an icecream during the day or a trip out, and a garden to sit out in that we don't have to work on, what more could we want? Oh and it's near enough for o.h.'s family to come visit.

Lizx

ann

ann Report 17 Jun 2018 23:48

Have you booked anything Liz?

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 19 Jun 2018 01:02

I am just coming to the end of our holiday, actually. We were let down at the last moment by the person renting out in Brightlingsea, she decided to go and stay there herself so withdrew the offer of rental. The place I looked at in Frinton had no wifi and with o.h. dozing off every evening at 9pm I needed to be able to use my tablet. I was getting desperate, with 9 days to go I had searched and searched, looking on the Lincolnshire coast too. Suddenly up popped a new registration of a brand new house to let in Chapel St Leonards. What a lucky find! The house is great, everything is new, it's in a quiet residential area with a suntrap garden, fields behind with lots of birds, even a cuckoo, and very quiet neighbours. We love it!

The village and beach are really nice, everyone is very friendly with many people having moved here from Nottingham, Sheffield, Leicester and all over the country. There are some good restaurants in local pubs, the garden centre (great Sunday carvery) and a lovely Italian restaurant that also does great takeaways and have just opened a daytime bistro with fabulous cakes and pastries that don't break the bank, altho they aren't helping my waist line lol

A new observatory/cafe/conference centre is about to open on the seafront but everywhere is so calm and chilled out, it's a surprise to see somewhere so modern in such a quaint place, but it doesn't jar as there is distance between them.

This is certainly a place we will return to, it has something for everyone, elderly and young with children. When we needed dentist for o.h.'s toothache we just drove a few miles to Skegness and antibiotics sorted him out.

He should have been back to work Monday afternoon but yesterday, Sunday, morning he went out of the patio doors without wearing his knee brace and stumbled twisting his dodgy knee badly. Good thing no one else was booked to come here as we have had to stay on while he rests his knee. I am not confident driving the new car yet and he can't bend his knee to sit comfortably anyway so we have to see what happens. He is going to see a doctor Tuesday but we have a further problem, he's on lots of medications for diabetes, blood pressure etc etc and has run out so I had to contact his home doctor to try and get a script sent to the local pharmacy here. Hope they sort that out pdq.

Never a dull moment! I had great fun, not, trying to pack the new car. I had packing the old car to a fine art, but the new car has a very small boot so more stuff had to go on the back seats, therefore no room for the patient to stretch out.

Hey ho, I am happy to stay on a little longer especially if the weather stays as lovely as it has been so far. I am looking quite sunkissed lol

Lizx

ann

ann Report 20 Jun 2018 21:15

Well at least you are enjoying yourself Liz. I am at my caravan in Walton and would have met up with you if you had been this end x

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 20 Jun 2018 23:13

So glad you're enjoying your stay/extended stay :-D

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 23 Jun 2018 01:21

Well, back at home now, lots of the washing done but I am taking it easy. We paid for one extra night so had to be out by midday on Wednesday. At 12.15 we were still searching for his reading glasses, which he remembered using earlier in the day! We gave up in the end but he swore I had somehow packed them! We mentioned to the owner that they were missing and today they turned up in the post, with no explanation as to where they were found lol

We had a brunch in our favourite bistro and then o.h. was able to drive us home with a break for a cuppa etc halfway.

He managed work yesterday and today was his wind down day off. He had to see a doctor for a medical after our car accident, and later the doctor at the hospital for a follow up on his knee from earlier this year. No further damage done, his knee brace adjusted and 'come back in a year'

Now I have to practice driving the new car so I am more familiar with it and all it's many buttons and modern gizmos.

Happy Summer folks

Lizxx

Ann, such a shame we couldn't meet. Will let you know if we get to
Frinton again

Lixx