General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

1939 census

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Florence

Florence Report 8 Jun 2018 14:19

Hello ,

Sorry to bother you all again but 1 was just looking on the 1939 census for a family well known to me and again do not understand why they have some names blocked out ? for instant . this person was the middle sibling aged 2
so should have been on there showing , but instead this info cannot be shown of this person why?
I know this person he lived well into his seventies.

hoping someone can explain Flo.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 8 Jun 2018 14:25

maybe they havent picked up his death or he isnt at the family home as had already been evacuated

my brother is still a closed record even though he passed in 2001 but he lived in spain so his death wasnt reg at the british consulate

my sister passed in 2002 and her record is open

Florence

Florence Report 8 Jun 2018 14:45

Hello Shirley, Thank you for replying.

This person has not moved from this area all his life, only when he had to go into the army when he was 18 / 21,he was. born here married here and buried here.

His elder brother was not on there also but they have either missed him out because he may have been working., but this person was on but blacked out .

other families have them also people blacked out , i just wanted to know if there was a reason for this?
Flo

PatinCyprus

PatinCyprus Report 8 Jun 2018 14:54

It may be a common name so couldn't be verified or just slipped through the net. I have variable results on my relatives but you can usually guess who's there.

Many of the men are missing as they are already in the services.

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 8 Jun 2018 15:02

Do you know when the person died?

The 1939 register was updated regularly until around 1990. If the person died before that and it was a name that wasn't very common then the record should be open. If they died after around 1990 then the record will still be closed unless they were born more than 100 years ago, or someone has asked for it to be opened.

If you are certain the person on a closed record has died then you can ask for it to be opened but only if you supply a death certificate to verify the fact that they have died.

I did this with my mother's record. It was closed as she didn't die until 2003, but by sending a copy of her death certificate I was able to get it opened.

Kath. x

Florence

Florence Report 8 Jun 2018 15:05

Thank you for taking the time to reply Pantin.

I do know it is him because its where he fitted in by age, it just baffled me as to why he was blocked? and yet the parents and siblings were not.?

never mind maybe i will never find out.

Flo :-(

Florence

Florence Report 8 Jun 2018 15:23

Thank you Kath,

Thats probably the reason his siblings died in 1987/ 1997/ 1999 they are showing, but he died 2013.

Thanks for explaining to me , i must be getting old i never thought of that!

I suppose i could ask his family and see what they say .

Again thank you Kath :-)

Sue In Yorkshire.

Sue In Yorkshire. Report 8 Jun 2018 17:20

Supposedly anyone under 21 was not open on the 1939 census.My mother is not on it and she was 18 yrs old.

Joy

Joy Report 8 Jun 2018 18:55

Sue, my brother-in-law was on it; he was nearly one year old.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 8 Jun 2018 19:21

Joy ..................

but did your brother-in-law die before 1991, or has someone sent in the death certificate to FMP?????

Sue ............

ANYONE living at the house in 1939 was entered on the Register ..... it was partly used in order to issue gas masks at the very beginning of the war, even to babies.

I was born about 5 months after the Register was compiled, but had a gas mask issued soon after birth

IF a 1 day old baby was there and died before 1991 OR someone has sent in the death certificate to FMP, then the record will be opened. My brother was 10 on the Register, died in Sept 1990, and his record is open. Similarly, an uncle was 16 in 1939, died May 1990, and his record is open.

The only reasons a record is not open .........

The person died after mid-1991 when the NHS stopped updating
The person died overseas, regardless of date
No-one has sent in a death certificate to FMP to ask for the record to be opened
The person really is still alive

Note that FMP has stated that it is trying to open records for people born more than 100 years ago, but this is a slow proves as it requires checking against death records, therefore difficult if names are common, for women who married after 1991, or died overseas.

My uncle still has a closed record on there, as do all members of his family ........ he was born 1894/5 so well past the "100 year rule", but he died overseas! The one child who remained in the UK died after 1991 so that hasn't yet been caught.

EDIT:- Interestingly, I have just seen that another uncle and his wife both born 1915 have open records on FMP (wed earlier in 1939) ............ he died in May 1991, but she didn't die until October 2009! She was still living at the address shown on the 1939 Register.

Joy

Joy Report 8 Jun 2018 20:13

He died in 1987.

A lot of records are being matched up quite far ahead of the 1991 cut off year.

Sue In Yorkshire.

Sue In Yorkshire. Report 8 Jun 2018 23:18

Sylvia.
She may have lived in the house where they lived but her record is closed on the 1939 census.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 9 Jun 2018 17:08

Sue .............

that only means that her death was not recorded before the NHS stopped updating in mid-1991

YOU could send in a) the marriage certificate proving her marriage and b) her death certificate to FMP, and the record will then be opened.

Otherwise, you will have to wait until FMP get around to matching up the death of your mother with the name change that NHS presumably had made after your mum got married.