General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Me and Maurice Beresford

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sharron

Sharron Report 10 Jun 2018 14:59

This bit is not ever so important but it is relevant to what I am relating. Here goes,King Edward l instigated a number of new towns throughout his considerable realm and there was one, very short lived one very close to where I live, although nobody is sure where it was.

I am very interested in this lost town and know that the man whose books to consult about these plantation towns is Maurice Beresford and, because anything like that is far too heavy to read straight out, I try to buy a second-hand copy rather than run up the inevitable library fines so I set about getting one.

The first I bought was an early edition which did not contain the gazetteer he had put in the later books but I kept i anyway (didn't know how to send it back!) it had everything else I wanted.

Keeping that one, I set about finding a later edition at which I succeeded but, as we were going somewhere where I would be left alone for about an hour, I took it with me and then couldn't find it when I went to use it at a later date.

Never mind, have a look for another on-line and when ordered, that cheap paper-back volume was delivered as a first edition hard back (!) which I thought might be worth keeping even if it didn't have the gazetteer.

Because you surely can't have too many copies of a Maurice Beresford, I had another look on-line and bagged another modern one.Of course the other one was in a shopping bag I never thought to look in as well, so now I have two for show,one downstairs to read and one by the bed (chick lit at it's lowest). It is not unknown for OH to go to work leaving me in bed with Maurice!

This morning, with my cup of tea in bed, I thought I would turn to Maurice for half an hour before getting up and have a look at our plantation town in the gazetteer.

Looking through alphabetically, I found Hampshire and turned on for Sussex. No Sussex anywhere, the bit I had bought it for. Oh no, no Sussex but there are two bloody Hampshires, one section has been inserted twice. It would have to be the bit I wanted that was left out though wouldn't it!.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 10 Jun 2018 15:07

B*gger! :-(

Does this omission/addition apply to both books?

I'd like to inform you, this post now has me perusing this site:
https://www.dmv.hull.ac.uk/

...and I had things to do :-P

Edit: Next time I'm in the New Forest - I must look for Bile :-D

It was, conveniently, right by The Burley Inn :-D :-D :-D

Another edit - came across this: http://www.pastscape.org.uk/background.aspx

Sharron

Sharron Report 10 Jun 2018 15:26

I didn't know about this site and thank you for putting me on to it.

The lost villages are actually something different but just as interesting.

Try looking at bastides.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 10 Jun 2018 15:47

I found both sites by accident :-D

It's amazing how many bastides still exist!

Caroline

Caroline Report 10 Jun 2018 18:07

Stop picking on 'ampshire ladies :-D

Great site Maggie thanks.

Sharron....you and Maurice cuddling up of a cold night LOL :-D :-D...you go girl

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 10 Jun 2018 22:39

...Maurice died in 2005 :-(

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 10 Jun 2018 22:44

Just realised, when I worked at Osborne School, the walk from the bus stop to the school, ensured I was walking through St Anastius by Wyke :-D

Sharron

Sharron Report 10 Jun 2018 22:47

He doesn't take up much room in my bed.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 10 Jun 2018 22:49

:-D :-D :-D :-D

Caroline

Caroline Report 10 Jun 2018 23:20

:-D :-D

Sharron

Sharron Report 11 Jun 2018 11:40

It is just a shame that one of his sections is missing, even if he does have two of another one!

Caroline

Caroline Report 11 Jun 2018 12:48

Yes it must be then to find out it's the one piece you really wanted.

Sharron

Sharron Report 11 Jun 2018 12:52

I have had worse disappointment in bed!

Caroline

Caroline Report 11 Jun 2018 12:54

:-D :-D