General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

McAfee scam

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Elizabeth2469049

Elizabeth2469049 Report 19 Jun 2018 13:41

Don't use McAfee so recognised reminder to renew sub as scam - but very plausible if you do use it so thought I would pass on warning

'Emma'

'Emma' Report 19 Jun 2018 19:33

Just had email from BT but doesn't look like usual
email from them mentions free McAfee download.

David

David Report 19 Jun 2018 20:51

I get emails inviting me to renew Panda antivirus

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 19 Jun 2018 20:54

A useful and timely warning from Elizabeth.

And how to fix it - there are several flavours .
https://malwaretips.com/blogs/remove-your-mcafee-subscription-has-expired-today-popup/

The free version of malware.bytes will clear it out if you are a victim.

McAffee is a pretty good utility especially if you have a bunch of computers/laptops etc to protect as there is the same fee for the whole collection at one location.

After getting a bad case of the bloat some years back Norton is as good as any..

Being skinflints we use malware.bytes pro ed (realtime) along with MS Defender. Works fine despite all the flak I get.

There is no need these days for home users to run a classic pop3 email account. Web accounts such as google, yahoo, outlook work fine and are also a strong line of protection given that a lot of malware is email based. It is also important to keep yr browser version up to date so if there are still any XP holdouts time to move on. If you have kept on old XP machine for some games or running a device such as a scanner NEVER connect it to the internet.

btw always change the router password from the default that it ships with. Allan might call it a modem.

Allan

Allan Report 19 Jun 2018 22:19

Wow! A mention in Dispatches :-D

I do indeed refer to that beastie as a modem. When I received the new, NBN compatible, one from my ISP it came with clear and precise instructions for changing the password :-D