General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

CT Colonoscopy

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

ShelleyRose

ShelleyRose Report 26 Jun 2018 13:11

Has anyone here had this done? I'm due to have this done and to say I'm a bit apprehensive and stressed at the thought of it is an understatement.

The bland 'diet' is difficult enough, (thankfully only 3 days),

How would you cook your chicken/fish (says no butter but I would normally cook it in a small amount of olive oil)?

Tea biscuits - tasteless (and I need to get my cholestorol down, so have cut out all biscuits and cakes).

You either love or hate bovril/marmite I'm the latter.

Looking on the bright side, I might actually lose so weight lol

Any advice/tips on this procedure gratefully received.
Thanks for reading.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 26 Jun 2018 13:57

Not personally !!

Hubby had it done at day surgery and said was unpleasant but manageable

He was given medication to relax him and I remember him saying he just let them get on with it !!

Bunnyboo

Bunnyboo Report 26 Jun 2018 15:11

My OH had one about two years ago. The preparation isn't particularly pleasant, but do-able. The actual camera bit he was fine with. As Shirley said, he just got on with it!

SheilaSomerset

SheilaSomerset Report 26 Jun 2018 15:23

I would poach a chicken breast and then slice it - should stay nice and moist if you don't overcook it.

My BIL has had this done more than once. He said the prep and laxatives were the worst, the actual procedure was OK and you can have drugs to help you relax. The staff will do all they can to ease you through it.

Good luck x

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 26 Jun 2018 16:18

I've had it done. The preparation seems to vary from place to place. I could eat what I liked until the day before, then nothing!!

The actual procedure isn't that pleasant, but I've had worse. They gave me pethadine to relax the muscles, so it didn't hurt at all, and I dozed off and let them get on with it. I could have watched on a screen if I'd wanted!!!

Afterwards they wouldn't let me go home until I'd had something to eat - the patient opposite was making a huge fuss because she didn't fancy what they offered.

It's like cataracts - the anticipation is much worse than the actual procedure. Good luck. :-)

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 26 Jun 2018 18:06

I've had it about 3 times over the last 14 years.

OH had his first back in 2005, followed by surgery to remove 60cm of his colon because of cancer.

Since then he has had them at least every 2 years ........ the last one was 2 weeks ago.

The diet we have to follow is fairlyl simple for the week before ............... no berries, tomatoes, etc (ie, nothing with small seeds), no red meat

The fasting/cleaning diet of the last 24 hours is boring ........... clear broth, jelly (but no red), lots of clear liquids (but no red). And the laxatives taken over the last 12 hours means you can't go far from a bathroom!

The actual examination is bearable ...... they give you a relaxant and a mild anaesthetic here so you are awake but don't feel anything, but you can't drive for 24 hours afterwards!

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 26 Jun 2018 18:16

I'd never heard of a CT colonoscopy - it's a bit different to a 'normal' one, in that it appears to be less invasive..
Some good information here:

https://www.radiologyinfo.org/en/info.cfm?pg=ct_colo

ShelleyRose

ShelleyRose Report 26 Jun 2018 20:03

Many thanks for all your replies I really do appreciate them, (I don't feel quite so bad now reading them).
Maggiewinchester thank you for the link I've had a good read of it, and the procedure doesn't seem quite as invasive as a full colonoscopy.

Thanks again for your good wishes.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 26 Jun 2018 20:07

They both involve gas :-(
I've had one or two of the 'normal' ones, and the worst part was the morning 'preparation' :-S

BrendafromWales

BrendafromWales Report 26 Jun 2018 21:21

I agree the preparation is the worst bit and staying near to a toilet. I have had 2 of these and 11 polyps removed.

I am having an upper endoscopy next week but I don’t have to have
prep,except no food for 6 hours before..I just try to relax and let them get on with it.
I have had a duodenal ulcer and have some gall stones,so will see what the next procedure is!

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 26 Jun 2018 22:44

Good luck with the tests, hope they give good results.

Lizx

ShelleyRose

ShelleyRose Report 29 Jun 2018 09:25

Thanks for all your replies and advice, it's now the day of my procedure (2:30 )
I had difficultly sticking to the time scale for drinking the kleen prep, and it took me 2 hours to finish it in the morning and 2 and a half in the evening.

I'm still running to the loo is that normal?

Yesterday was so hot I only drank water, and I'm not sure if I should be drinking any today. (the Prep says not to eat anything before the procedure, says nothing about drinking) and the instructions given by the hosp. are a bit confusing - think I'm so stressed out I'm not reading it properly.

Any help on this would be great, thank you.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 29 Jun 2018 09:32

Water should be fine - the last thing you want is to be dehydrated!

Running to the loo- a 'normal' thing (but hence the need to drink water too) :-D

ShelleyRose

ShelleyRose Report 29 Jun 2018 11:20

Maggiewinchester Many thanks for your reply, I'm on my third 500ml bottle of water :-D

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 29 Jun 2018 20:01

I didn't mean that much!! :-0

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 29 Jun 2018 20:04

:-0 :-0 :-0 :-0

that was rather a lot!!!!!!!!!

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 29 Jun 2018 20:22

I wonder how it went.......

ShelleyRose

ShelleyRose Report 30 Jun 2018 21:49

:-D I'm ok, I was feeling a bit dehydrated so had to have a drink lol (had eaten nothing the day before, as it was so hot here). You were all right with regards to the 'prep' - was the worse part, the procedure went fine, and the staff were lovely, just waiting on the results 7 - 10 days.

Thanks again everyone for your help/advice it was very much appreciated. :-D

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 30 Jun 2018 22:01

So glad (for you) that it's over! :-D :-D

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 30 Jun 2018 22:04

Glad it's over with now, hope the results are clear

Lizx