General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

My old biddies?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sharron

Sharron Report 2 Jul 2018 16:16

We took the old biddies to a beachside cafe last week and, as far as I know, they all enjoyed their fish and chips.

Night before last, somebody had a bonfire on the beach, using the picnic tables from the cafe.

They would have said if they had not enjoyed it wouldn't they?!

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 2 Jul 2018 16:17

:-D :-D :-D

Caroline

Caroline Report 2 Jul 2018 17:18

Extreme cleaning up.

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 2 Jul 2018 23:00

I object to the word " biddies"

It implies old fogeys of the female variety...

am I correct i that assumption?

Caroline

Caroline Report 2 Jul 2018 23:02

I object to old......more mature maybe :-D

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 3 Jul 2018 08:51

This old biddy stands behind Bobtanian. :-D

It ain't what you say, it's the way that you say it.
It ain't what you do, it's the way that you do it.
That's what ......

Oops, the words have slipped my mind. Now, where did I park my brain last night?

:-D :-D :-D

Sharron

Sharron Report 3 Jul 2018 11:10

They know they/we are the old biddies.

It is the rump of a thriving club that ran in the village for the elderly which had a craft group that made all sorts of things, rush bottomed chairs included. In those days they would have magnificent sales every year and the members would go away on holidays.

Over the years, it has become eight of us and OH who, for some reason, probably because he drives the mini-bus for outings, is never asked to pay the two pounds a week membership, who sit in the pub. I say it is a group of old ladies who eat cake and sweets and discuss their diabetes.

They are, and always will be, the old biddies and they know this.

Phyllis, who has some kind of brain damage, has been a member since it started fifty odd years ago when she used to attend with her mum and she is now ninety.

Caroline

Caroline Report 3 Jul 2018 11:45

Sounds a riot :-)

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 3 Jul 2018 13:36

No doubt Sharron they are what makes your village a village ...

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 3 Jul 2018 13:48

You need to up your numbers then Sharron. I am still in my prime but may I join?

;-)

Sharron

Sharron Report 3 Jul 2018 13:58

Things do die in this village. We had a thriving social club which started with all sorts of things going on, outings, all sorts of sporting events, quizzes, weddings.

The building is now semi-derelict and the only thing that goes on there is football.

I think that was because one particular family began to dominate what was happening so they began to control what went on, this has happened to other clubs I believe.

I am sixty-five and the next youngest is eighty-two so I don't see a lot of future for our group.

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 3 Jul 2018 14:14

That's a real shame, Sharron.

I am mid-seventies but my coffee pals range from 73 to 82 - eleven of us when altogether but not often everyone because we don't all meet every morning. It's a chat and a laugh over coffee. I go four, sometimes five mornings a week and there's always someone there.

I do not yet consider myself old enough to go to the Friday Lunch that our local water board provides nor old enough to join the Monday Lunch Club as they do seem to be 80 and over .... but one day, with a bit of luck ..... :-D

Sharron

Sharron Report 3 Jul 2018 15:47

We also go to the village lunch, and sometimes cook it and are the only people under seventy there.

That is declining and there are not enough people willing to cook.

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 3 Jul 2018 17:44

That's what the Monday Lunch group do Sharron. They all take turn to cook lunch, doing it in pairs - men and women alike.

The Water Board provide a free lunch (in its canteen I believe) to the oldies who go. I think that may be the first one I try eventually.