General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

* Hello *

Page 0 + 1 of 10

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. 4
  5. 5
  6. 6
  7. 7
  8. 8
  9. 9
  10. 10
  11. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Barbra

Barbra Report 31 Jul 2018 13:09

A big change in the weather here very windy have had showers as well .good for rivers & gardens whoever look in have a good day time for my lunch Barbara xx

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 31 Jul 2018 17:38

So much better in my area of Kent

Was up early cos the cat wanted out so sitting in the recliner musing on genes and facebook there was thunder, cat came in pdq but was wet

We had a little downpour then it dried up

Today is my coffee morning at the local dobies garden centre and I and it ok

Sooo sitting in my recliner with the door open to the garden and it really comfy

Have done a little clean up of the patio including sweeping up the corpse of a small mouse !!

Bee cat likes to bring em back as he thinks I really need them

Got to the stage that's it's hot but I can't have doors open in case he brings me pressies :-| :-(

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 31 Jul 2018 18:49

Lovely day here today, a bit blustery but sunny and warm. Sun still shining at 6.45pm.

Barbra

Barbra Report 31 Jul 2018 19:22

Enjoy your Sunshine dull & raining here ;-)

Barbra

Barbra Report 1 Aug 2018 10:09

My word 1st August doesn't time fly this year has gone so quickly . anyone looks in you have a good day local shops today then some housework catching up ironing oh what a happy life I have Barbara ;-) :-D :-D

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 1 Aug 2018 10:17

Bright, sunny and warming up a lot again here.Workmen outside so it's likely to get noisy.

Ironing is something that rarely happens here.
I wash clothes and dry them in such a way that it is seldom required.
Saves so much time .....................

Barbra

Barbra Report 1 Aug 2018 10:29

Hello .ironing not my favourite job but OH wore shirts while we were away so they get done & put away he will have to wear polo shirts iron redundant then :-D cloudy here as I said North South divide with the sunshine but still warm here ,I have paid for twelve months membership as oh having health issues maybe I will need to have a moan on here as I know hopefully somebody will be there for me .he is having blood test Thanks in advance Barbara x

Allan

Allan Report 1 Aug 2018 10:44

Blowing a gale here, with more to come tonight. This has been one of the wettest, coldest and windiest winters for several years......and we've run out of firewood :-(

Dread the electric bill when it arrives!

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 1 Aug 2018 11:43

So a bit like the UK Allan, maybe you too are in for a long hot summer, well longer and hotter than usual.

Barbra, very sensible, we will be here for you. Hope OH's blood tests go ok and that things are not as bad as they seem.

Health problems come with age don't they? Seems you go to doctors with one thing and come out with several more. I can't win. I had my annual nurse pharmacist check up this week, I am on medication for BP so he checked my BP, until now the meds have kept it reasonably low. Now he is saying it is almost too low!!

Barbra

Barbra Report 1 Aug 2018 12:12

Its finding the right balance Ann oh his GP has increased dosage on BP medication .but he just seems so hipped up I just leave him to it as whatever I say he is always right Speak again soon Take Care Barbara

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 1 Aug 2018 14:50

It is a thing about older men Barbra, mine is mr always right as well.

Florence61

Florence61 Report 1 Aug 2018 19:40

Well. we have had gales and torrential rain. Over the weekend wind speed was around 50mph..My poor plants outside were knocked over and my pea plant I found round the side of the house.

Had to repot it .Think Ive managed to save it as the flowers have just bloomed and will get a good crop. others I had to move to shelter by my bins.

Its so depressing after the good weather we had a couple of weeks ago.

Having said that this year we did actually have a summer as last 3 years were very poor so shouldn't really complain!

Barbara I hope hubby's results will be ok. always a worry but hopefully all will be fine.

Thing with blood pressure is ,it changes from minute to minute. Depends sometimes what we are doing, whether we are very active or sitting. And of course, it depends on other things such as the heart and cholesterol levels.

So getting the BP medication right can be quite tricky.

Ive noticed the nights creeping in.Its now dark by 10.30pm,yet a month ago was still light at 11.30pm.

Florence
in the hebrides

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 1 Aug 2018 19:52

Florence I have been on the medication fo 18 years :-)

Florence61

Florence61 Report 1 Aug 2018 20:00

Oh crikey Ann! Was it very high before you had to start medication?

Mine was high last year for several months.But the day after I moved out on my own, it went down and is fine now. So mine was purely stress related and when I removed myself from a situation, I removed the stress.

But everyone's situation is different. Its a complex subject. 130/75 is average.Mine runs at 140/80 and is stable

Florence
in the hebrides

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 3 Aug 2018 02:13

Your 140/80 is what my doctor said mine should be, Florence, but it does vary a little, hardly surprising with the problems with o.h. health and consequential attitude. Life is certainly no easier even tho he is only working 4 days a week. He is on wind down ready for retirement on his birthday next February when he is 65. Soon he will only work 3 days a week (from November). I did check and told him he wouldn't get his old age pension till May but he insisted he would finish on his birthday, and is now upset that he won't get much money coming in till May! He is angry that his company did not point this out when he submitted his chosen date to finish. He is another Mr Always right, except he isn't, because his memory is getting worse, and he relies on me to remind him and clarify things. There are notes written for everything! It's very stressful for him and therefore for me and I am dreading him being home full time. No obe else is bothered about him, one son in N.Y. doesn't communicate at all t'other in Essex is ok but doesn't do anthing to help, so it's all down to me. Luckily I have Power of Attorney over health and money so if things get too bad later on there are choices I can make but I wish I could do what you did, Florence, and walk away. Without a lottery win that's not possible so until then I will keep taking my b.p. pills and cross my fingers.

Take care everone, this heat is knocking me for six and I expect it is for lots of you still

Lizxx

Barbra

Barbra Report 3 Aug 2018 08:44

Good Morning Liz x & everyone who are posting its good to talk welcome any time xx a damp start to the day haven't got the heat in our area .how are they managing in 48* in Portugal that is hot .Take Care enjoy your weekend .Bye Barbara :-)

Florence61

Florence61 Report 3 Aug 2018 23:21

Crikey 48 degrees! I'm astmatic so I couldn't possibly cope in that heat. Even a hot shower sometimes can make me wheezy if ive forgotten to open the window!

Liz Im sorry for you that you are in a situation you cant walk away from.
I did a lot of planning beforehand and was lucky to have access to a bank pension from the age of 55. I took a lump sum and bought a small monthly pension.

It was the lump sum that made things possible for me.

Im hard up but happy now.

Yes a win on the lottery would be nice.
Gales have gone but only about 14 degrees here. The bikini is staying in the wardrobe..lol

Florence
in the hebrides
:-)

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 4 Aug 2018 04:38

Thanks Barbara and Florence,

I keep thinking how annoyed I would be had I booked to go abroad this summer, I would not have coped with the heat in Greece etc, our usual destination. I would have had to hide in the shade all the time and been very uncomfortable. I have always loved the sun but this extreme heat is too much even here, my fatigue is dreadful and I am very lethargic.

Typical, eh? British people and the weather, we're never happy!

Lizxx

Barbra

Barbra Report 7 Aug 2018 12:37

Good Day folks its bright here had a few showers .but mild .noticed its hot in other parts of the country .not a lot of movement on the threads hope Emma is alright & Pat have a great time safe trip Island Von Best wishes to you all .Garden is looking alright just now plenty of colour .will maybe this year empty pots & baskets & compost them have a fresh start next year right if anyone looks in have a nice day Take Care Barbara :-) :-)

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 7 Aug 2018 16:41

Hello Barbra, very hot here again today and very sunny, too hot for me out in the garden although OH seems able to cope with it, he is still pottering around out there. (wearing a big hat though). We went out to a garden centre this morning and it was not too bad there, it is a bit higher than here though. The heat seems to get trapped in the gardens here, I suppose it is enclosed. Plants seem to be surviving, at least most of them. Had loads of tumbler tomatoes, so many had to make a tomato sauce with some of the, will have that on pasta tomorrow. also picked a lot of red currants and a fair amount of blackberries and loganberries, only a small amount of gooseberries though.