General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

'Hints'

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Iain

Iain Report 9 Aug 2018 13:48

When trees are posted or created on this site, is an automatic search started by the website to find possible links to any person on the tree from other sources of records?
As for example happens on Ancestry.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 9 Aug 2018 13:55

Not any more !!

They used to do similar and it was called hot matches

Wasn't that good and often the match was very tenous and it was waste of time plowing through a long list .often too it did a match where you were already in touch with the tree holder.

Hot matches haven't been issued for many moons and it seems to have been discontinued

Iain

Iain Report 9 Aug 2018 15:17

OK. Thank you for that.

I have a tree on Ancestry and there are a lot of hints for which I will have to purchase the big bucks subscription if want to be able to read the full result. :-(

JemimaFawr

JemimaFawr Report 9 Aug 2018 15:42

Hello Iain :-)

If you have a tree on GR you will notice that on family members or ancestors on your tree there is often a star with a number on it.
That number is the amount of records or tree matches that are available on GR for that person. Click on these stars and the information will come up, usually on another tab.

As has been mentioned, they can be a bit tenuous sometimes, but you never know!:-D

Iain

Iain Report 9 Aug 2018 18:04

Thank you. Will upload the file/tree and see what happens.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 10 Aug 2018 07:00

What you can also do is look in members trees .its under the Search heading above the boards, and put in one of the family names you are interested in and see if anyone else had them in their tree

You can then try to make contact by clicking on the find out more box and sending a message.
No guarantees though you will get an answer because genes never deletes a tree, this has ti be done by the tree holder , and they may no longer be a member, changed the email address they joined genes with ,or just not interestes in research anymore

AND don't ask to see their tree in the first.contact . This often results in a rejection straight away

I never open my tree unless I am sure there is a definate connection as in the past have had name collectors who take info and jumble it up to fiit what they want and it's very annoying to find your hard work ,and indeed your family wrongly transcribed on on someone else's tree that may be copied too by others