General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Just coincidence or not?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 12 Aug 2018 12:04

Since next doors cat has died we have rats in the shed and garden, thankfully not indoors, do you think it was a good deterrent? The cat I mean.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 12 Aug 2018 13:03

Definitely!
One of mine regularly caught, brought in (and ate) rats.
All that I would find in the morning would be the spine, tail and liver on the kitchen floor. :-S
These 'leftovers', over time, got smaller (baby rats) until there were none! :-D
Unfortunately that cat died 2 years ago, and although his siblings are useless at ratting - one plucks dead birds, the other - her biggest 'find' was a dragonfly that she held in her mouth, and brought to me.
The dragonfly was still alive,and flapping it's wings, making it sound like a horrifying purr.
I said 'hello' to the cat, the cat 'meowed' back at me - and the dragonfly flew off - anyway, they're useless ratters, but must deter rats, as (touch wood) I haven't seen evidence of any.

David

David Report 12 Aug 2018 13:24

Nearly 40 years ago we had a big ginger cat used to catch and eat rabbits !!

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 12 Aug 2018 13:49

Not many rabbits around here, David! :-D
However, when we lived next to fields, one of the cats we had then would regularly bring back rabbits, voles - even moles! :-D :-D

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 12 Aug 2018 14:57

Um seems we might buy a cat then.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 12 Aug 2018 15:38

Go on- you know you want to! :-D

Have a look here:
https://www.catchat.org/index.php/cat-rescue-centres-uk-ireland?gclid=Cj0KCQjwtb_bBRCFARIsAO5fVvEiSZHjOhIXEWieXxwu-0NCiAD6ty36HPXgkcj1kaQokSDWcJvh380aAvjCEALw_wcB

Sharron

Sharron Report 12 Aug 2018 15:42

I have mice in again.

We never have them in unless we have a cat who brings in presents. Jacky Milburn brings them in for Daddy. Desmond loved me more, he would bring me live rats!

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 12 Aug 2018 15:48

Ssssh Sharron - don't put ZZzzz off :-|

I've never worked out how George managed to get a dead pigeon (and himself) through the cat flap.
He'd take the bird to the carpeted area (stairs) and proceed to pluck it :-| :-|

Fortunately, he hasn't done it for a while, I hope at 12, he's finally grown up.
It wasn't a pleasant 'surprise' first thing in the morning.

Sharron

Sharron Report 12 Aug 2018 16:22

Somebody was telling me how her husband shoots rats at their home and throws them into the field at the back where a buzzard comes and picks them up.

The other day she saw the buzzard come and have a look in case there might be one there.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 12 Aug 2018 18:57

Why not get the council pest control in .

They will bait the shed and come back to check

If you have no pets then maybe the garden can be baited too

Mr Tibbs my 5 year old feline, thinks I would dearly love his presents of live birds ,usually sparrows some times baby seagulls , and live field mice

He brings them in and tortures them by releasing and chasing them till they hide or play dead and he loses interest

I am left with bodies to clear up or panic trying to find where a live mouse has gone

I am in dread that one may take up residence and breed

I absolutely hate mice but am also petrified of them

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 13 Aug 2018 00:07

Cats are rarely a problem re bringing in wild life over here ............. anyone who has any sense simply does not let them out.

If they do, the cat's life is often very short ................ they provide an ideal meal for eagles, hawks, coyotes and raccoons in town, plus cougars and wolves in the country.

The same also applies to small dogs and puppies.

Thank heavens that the number of "Pet Lost" notices posted on telephone poles is gradually reducing as more and more people realise that letting the cat or dog out to roam just is not the wise thing to do here.

And, before anyone contradicts me ................. we do have those birds and animals (plus skunks) living even in the centre of the largest cities. We have seen (and more often smelled) skunks going past out house, raccoons climbing the trees, and coyotes strolling down the street.

They find just as many places to live as foxes do in the UK, except they much prefer meat to eat.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 13 Aug 2018 09:04

Our sister lives in Chilliwack ,moved there from Abbotsford BC

Their cats have always been indoor cats because of the risks of wild predators
Sadly one cat dashed outside one time as they opened a door and he wouldn't come back in again

They found what was left of him the next day !!

They always had dogs and her hubby would take them for a walk on the leash twice a day to a local park . Always on a leash .
They were never let out into the garden

Sadly no dogs now as they had to put down the last one and couldn't face getting another one , sadly too BIL passed away last year

She has a cat now which they rehomed two years ago. She was telling me that she has screen doors she can open for air but the cat can't get out.

I was saying that in the recent hot hot weather we have had that I can't have the door open in case I get presents bought in

Am trying to find an installer to see if I can get them too

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 13 Aug 2018 17:53

Shirley ............

we have screen doors and screened windows, so we can open them without bugs and flies getting in.

This house had them when we bought it back in 1972, and they are a blessing

................ though the advice here is actually to keep windows and curtains closed on the sun side. Only open them when the sun has moved from that side of the house.

Denburybob

Denburybob Report 13 Aug 2018 19:16

When we had mice in our last house that we couldn't get rid of, (the mice, that is, not the house), I lifted a floorboard and put the ferrets down there. Problem solved.

JoyBoroAngel

JoyBoroAngel Report 13 Aug 2018 19:32

One of my Cats is a brilliant ratter :-D :-D

Linda

Linda Report 13 Aug 2018 21:53

My brother and sister in law live beside a common and their cat Lottie brings in all sorts of thing from mice rats and rabbits and birds all presents for Mum and dad brother and sister in law love Lottie to bits, but I could never have a cat because of the presents they bring in scared stiff of rats and mice and anyway I have a very quiet garden and my neighbours cats like to come and lay in it so that might keep them away

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 13 Aug 2018 23:16

People! You may be putting ZZzzz off getting a cat! :-|

Focus on the positive :-D

They're fluffy and cuddly.
Don't need walking
Can be trained to a certain extent
Give you unconditional love
Not as 'needy' as dogs
Will welcome you when you come home.

Just lay of the random vomiting, 'need' to show you their rear end, demolition of furniture etc ;-)

Edit: and their fixation wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiith wallllllllllllllllllking on thekeyboooooooooard or sitting on y our mouse ha nd

JoyBoroAngel

JoyBoroAngel Report 13 Aug 2018 23:53

I have 3 cats Touchwood Scarlett and Steve
They are great company and give us hours of pleasure
watching their funny ways
Each has its own personality
Touchwood is a princess Everything is on her terms
Scarlet the common one who is the most loving and
Steve who thinks he is a Dog
and spends the day giving you his paw and wagging his tail <3 <3 <3

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 14 Aug 2018 00:03