General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

census by address

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Peter

Peter Report 14 Aug 2018 17:42

Hi,
Does anyone know if you can use the census records by address only and how to do it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 15 Aug 2018 06:36

Depends what site you are using to search on

On Find My Past you can although it's a bit long winded to get around

Peter

Peter Report 15 Aug 2018 10:14

Ok. Thanks for that. Thought it would be a bit easier

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 15 Aug 2018 10:40

If you're happy to post the year and address, there's sure to be someone who doesn't mind trying.
It might help if you have a name of at least one person as well.

Peter

Peter Report 16 Aug 2018 11:08

Just moved into a 400 year old cottage and was trying to find out who lived there so not a lot of info to go on.

Sue In Yorkshire.

Sue In Yorkshire. Report 16 Aug 2018 11:14

Have you tried going through the Land Registry in your council.?

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 16 Aug 2018 11:34

You could do a Google search just the cottage name with the village and see if anything crops up.
If the cottage is / was in a fairly small village, you can just find the village then 'walk' around on census listings, looking for eg. a church or manor house or similar to get your bearings.

Do you know if the cottage has always had the same name?
The same building can vary between records.

My great grandmother stocked small items in her front room and sold them for convenience to other villagers. What I knew as School Cottage, - opposite the village school, was therefore sometimes recorded as The Shop.

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 16 Aug 2018 12:59

The Census is based on E.D. (enumeration districts) not street addresses.
However if you have an approximate idea of the location where the street address you want is/was located then Ancestry will allow you to search on the basis of the E.D. and depending on how accurate yr initial guess was you will soon come up with the street.
It is well worth searching through a street / neighbourhood as it tends to reveal social patterns / relationships far better than just the usual subject based census page!

https://search.ancestry.co.uk/search/db.aspx?dbid=7814