General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

1871 Census

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Edward

Edward Report 23 Aug 2018 08:18

What does 'Nib' mean as a Relation?

Kense

Kense Report 23 Aug 2018 08:38

Have you looked at the original image to confirm that it says Nib?

For example Mil (Mother in law) could easily be badly written,

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 23 Aug 2018 08:50

Can you give info so we can take a look

Edward

Edward Report 23 Aug 2018 08:51

Thank you for your reply - appreciated. However, this is a printed page of the census not a handwritten one. So there is no way of knowing whether the original was badly written.
Regards,
Ted.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 23 Aug 2018 08:53

Never seen a printed page of a census page only the original with it's transcription

Would seem yours is a transcription error

Have you found the person on any other census

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 23 Aug 2018 09:03

Ted, if you give the details from the transcription, we can probably find the image to look at. The exception would be if it’s from Scotland as that would be on Scotlandspeople, a pay to view site. Only transcriptions are available on other sites.

List the Name & ages of the household & where they lived. It would be even better if you could copy & paste.

Kense

Kense Report 23 Aug 2018 11:09

Even if you don't want to give all that information, a few clues could help, particularly age, gender and the type of residence. Was it an ordinary household, an institution or somewhere with many servants?

Edward

Edward Report 23 Aug 2018 11:19

Thank you very much to all who responded and helped me. I have looked at the original census and 'nib' should read 'nil' in the relation column, in other words no ralationship!

Regards,

Ted.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 23 Aug 2018 12:42

Pleased you've managed to sort it yourself.

The rule that transcribers are given is 'type what you see'. If they are tired or not confident with the written language, they can make some hilarious mistakes. As you've found, it's always best to double check on the image.

Edward

Edward Report 23 Aug 2018 22:30

Thank you - I've learnt something today - even at the advanced age of 83!