General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

September 2nd 1998 ............

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 1 Sep 2018 03:53

Title edited Sept 1st ca 5:10 pm

Error in typing ...... it was September 2nd which is why I posted this

Swissair Flight 111 took off from JFK Airport in New York for Geneva

There was a fire in insulation on board and the plane crashed into the sea in St Margaret's Bay, near Peggy's Cove, Nova Scotia. Everyone on board was killed.

It doesn't seem like 20 years ago!!

The monument erected at Bayswater a couple of years later is one of the simplest yet most effective that I have ever seen. Two huge blocks face out to the bay where the plane crashed. It is so utterly beautiful and peaceful that it is hard to believe what happened that night 20 years ago.

http://www.st-margaretsbay.com/swissair_memorials.html

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 1 Sep 2018 13:14

At the time of the crash SwissAir were in financial trouble. They added flight entertainment to their long distance aircraft so as to improve competitive position in the profitable long haul market. Owing to their poor cash flow the installers of this kit were not sufficiently qualified for such work which was in any case poorly specified.

The electrical fire which caused the crash was probably linked to the poor IFE installation. The crew themselves did nothing wrong.

Following the catastrophe there were many changes to civil aircraft build and operating regulations which have undoubtedly saved many lives. The memorial to the flight is more than apposite especially now when we expect real time internet when flying and aircraft electrical systems are ever more complex.

Despite removing the IFE systems of the same kind in the rest of the fleet and replacing them with better build SwissAir went bust in 2001. Its flag / badge are now operated within Lufthansa.

http://www.tsb.gc.ca/eng/medias-media/fiches-facts/a98h0003/sum_a98h0003.asp
http://www.iasa.com.au/folders/sr111/IFENFacts.html

My OH had rellies on the flight. None survived. Her father used to find the anniversary especially painful.

Elizabethofseasons

Elizabethofseasons Report 5 Sep 2018 19:31

Dear Sylvia and Rollo

Hello

I remember this coming though on the news.

For your OH and you <3

Sincere wishes
Elizabeth, EOS
x

Elizabethofseasons

Dear Sylvia and Rollo

Hello

For your OH and you <3

Sincere wishes
Elizabeth, EOS
x

Elizabethofseasons

Dear Sylvia and Rollo

Hello

For your OH and you <3

Sincere wishes
Elizabeth, EOS
x