General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Family

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 4 Sep 2018 15:23

Yesterday I was at a funeral for my auntie who was born in 1926
She was married to my mums youngest brother born 1925 died 1985

Like my hubby and I, he was her soulmate
When he passed she was devastated and she just wanted to be with him.Every night she kissed his photo and said I love you and goodnight

It was a great turnout for her. I drove to the funeral and panicked cos the sat nav did sillies and I got well and truly lost
Thought try the signs for the area and this worked ,then look for signs for the crematorium!!
Yep got there at 3.18 for the 3.20 service

But finding parking was nope so I was late getting into the chapel,

But I made it and later on had many hugs from family some of who, I hadnt seen for 60plus years !!

One of her sons said oh my god I know you , yes you are older but you are you!

He was very kind and said blimey you don't look 81!!!

Very complimentary

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 4 Sep 2018 15:34

c 98 is a grand age. Glad you managed to make it to her send off, Shirley, and became re-acquainted with so many relatives. Perhaps you or they will be able to visit with each other in the future? That'll be something to look forward to!

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 4 Sep 2018 15:50

It must have been good to get together to remember your aunt's long life.Well done for mastering the directions.

It is sad that often it is only at funerals that family gathers together in our later years.
When my mum died, we realised that we would have to make an effort to meet all together, as we had usually done at her house.
At least once each year we meet up as a family to catch up with each other and have a happy time together.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 4 Sep 2018 23:17

It's so sad when you don't see family for so long - although to be honest, the few times I've seen a particular aunt and uncle has been too many!

We do the same as Gwyn, with immediate family and close family friends..

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 5 Sep 2018 16:13

It is sad but the extended family have moved so much
Our youngest sister lives in Canada

Some of aunties family live in Australia. Some in Thailand

We moved to Kent in the 1960,s so contact has been by phone and later on via Facebook .

One brother lives in the midland and doesn't get down to London

I am in touch with with lots of them buts it's not in person

My cousin Joan who is the daughter of auntie is an absolute brick , she keeps in touch with all the family and can tel you the latest news on all of us

We are a.close family just not physically

Elizabethofseasons

Elizabethofseasons Report 5 Sep 2018 19:27

Dear Shirley and All

Caring thoughts <3

Love Elizabeth, EOS
xx

Denburybob

Denburybob Report 5 Sep 2018 21:08

It is a shame when families lose touch. About ten years ago a cousin died, and at the funeral, comments were made that this is the only times we see each other. It transpired that most of us had caravans, trailer tents etc, so we arranged the following year to all go away together. We have been doing so every year since, and are all due in Norfolk next week. We don't all camp any more because of out age, but we still have a good time.

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 5 Sep 2018 23:10

Where are you staying in Norfolk, Bob?

Lizx

Denburybob

Denburybob Report 6 Sep 2018 19:43

Wells-next-the-sea. Pinewoods to be exact. Next Saturday for a week.

Denburybob

Denburybob Report 6 Sep 2018 19:50

...and, tomorrow we are going to Devon for a couple of nights.

Madge

Madge Report 6 Sep 2018 20:28

My parents were the youngest of large families and married late, so a lot of our cousins a have children the same age as me or slightly younger, so we rarely got to know them really. That and the fact we didn't live in the same area. So the only time we get to see them is at funerals.

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 6 Sep 2018 22:23

If you visit Norwich, let me know, maybe I could catch up with you.

Wells is lovely, enjoy yourselves

Lizx