General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

My Brown Turkey

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sharron

Sharron Report 14 Sep 2018 15:07

My. nan had a passionflower so I had to have one and it is going great guns. It is right up my front wall and almost covers my front window at the moment which was quite handy in the very hot weather. It is full of fruit which I am considering making something with once they are ripe. Then it can be cut back and we can have a bit of light in again.

Grandad had a fig tree which died when he did so I had to get a fig tree.it was tiny and I kept it in a pot where it did nothing for a couple of years. Since it has been put in the garden where it is doing better, it has some little figs on it.

Now, am I right in thinking that those are the fruits for next year?

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 15 Sep 2018 00:19

No idea!

Caroline

Caroline Report 15 Sep 2018 00:42

Thought my mums had fruit every year but I could be wrong, maybe someone might Google it but I kinda think Sharron would have done that already maybe... :-)

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 15 Sep 2018 03:58

The guy who lived across the street from us until he died some years ago planted 2 fig against the south facing wall f his house 30+ years ago.

They are still producing ................. the family pick the figs every year when they are ripe.

PatinCyprus

PatinCyprus Report 15 Sep 2018 08:45

Figs are picked every year out here Sharron. There are fig trees everywhere. The fresh figs start in July and finish usually next month.

What fruit you have on your tree can be harvested as soon as they soften. Figs stop ripening as soon as you pick them so make sure they are soft first.

Wasps love them so be careful and cut them open before you eat them - may be different there but there is a wasp that lays eggs in figs out here so we never bite into a whole fig as there could be a wasp grub inside.

In season my OH cuts one up every morning to have with his weetabix. :-D