General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Strawberries

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Allan

Allan Report 15 Sep 2018 22:35

A recent thread about sausage sandwiches caused one poster to question precisely what goes into a sausage ;-)

Now, at least in Eastern Australia, another conundrum; what, precisely goes into fresh strawberries?

https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/food/food-warnings/three-pins-found-inside-coles-strawberries-in-nsw/news-story/db732a1b6507fe7cb876d2afee3dcd8b

Hopefully this type of action is confined to the Eastern States only.

A very selfish comment I know, but yesterday OH made one of her strawberry cheesecakes which are to die for, although I hope not literally :-D

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 15 Sep 2018 23:04

:-D :-D :-D

I do find putting needles in strawberries a strange way to protest - and protest about what?
Also, if the strawberries were in sealed punnets, like in the UK, the needles would have to have been inserted where they were picked or packed (quite often the same place)
As (one presumes) the origin of the fruit is known, it shouldn't be too difficult to find a disgruntled /warped/bar steward/employee, or, as it seems to be across a few places, search out the members of an 'I know my rights and I can protest how I like' group, and find the little ignorant sh*tes.

Allan

Allan Report 15 Sep 2018 23:21

Not quite so easy, Maggie.

Many of the 'pickers are backpackers or, painting with an extremely broad brush, if the owners/operators are of Asian origin there could be many illegal migrants working on the properties with no proper records being kept :-(

Whichever, there is an extremely transitory workforce in this area.

Also needles could be introduced in the actual stores. As they (the needles are extremely sharp and thin, they would pierce the wrapping with very little trace.

Whoever it is, and whatever the method, I hope that they are caught soon :-|

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 15 Sep 2018 23:41

I hope they're caught soon too.
Other idiots could see this as an idea - for what cause I have no idea.
It seems a nasty, vindictive act, for no purpose. :-|

Allan

Allan Report 15 Sep 2018 23:45

Totally agree, Maggie

Caroline

Caroline Report 16 Sep 2018 00:46

What mad people there are in the world!

Allan

Allan Report 16 Sep 2018 00:47

Not sure, Caroline, but many of them seem to be making Australia home :-|